Moving uvb inside of tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After posting my last thread about uvb, I received feedback that my uvb bulb is too far away from my beardie. I recently read the lighting guide and saw that the screen filters out uvb too, so she defiantly isn't getting enough uvb. I am using the Zilla T8 desert 50 slimline fixture with the 15 watt Zilla bulb, by the way. I am planning to buy a 15+ watt, under the counter florescent fixture and mount it inside her cage so it is close enough to her. I want to save on money, so I plan to just remove the current bulb I have and put it in the fixture. One thing that I am concerned about though is that mounting it inside might cause eye damage. Somebody told me that if you use the Zilla bulbs in conjunction with a bright white light, than it won't cause eye damage. Is this still the case if I mount it inside the cage?

Flapjack6260

Original Poster
So, I went out and bought a 15 watt under the counter fixture and hung it with command picture hangers. The uvb bulb is about 8 inches away from her basking spot. I routed the cable through the awesome cable plug thing that came with my cage, and plugged it into my smart plug so it turns off and on automatically. If something is wrong with this, please tell me.

100349-3747497476_small.jpg

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
What size Terrarium is that? By the way the food and water in the green bowls/plate are in the opposite one. The food goes in the huge flat one. I don't get it though. It's huge...but it does make it a bit easier for them to navigate their salads.

I am not one of the experts on the board, and we have a lot of them. With that said, everything looks great. I imagine that at some point someone will point out a longer tube UVB and bracket to use. It depends on the size of your terrarium. It would be best if it was hung from the top middle with a shield that points it downward. I have learned that the UVB lighting is where you should sink your best money. of course the correct basking temps are just as important, but not expensive at all.

Flapjack6260

Original Poster
TracyMarie":294xhuc8 said:
What size Terrarium is that? By the way the food and water in the green bowls/plate are in the opposite one. The food goes in the huge flat one. I don't get it though. It's huge...but it does make it a bit easier for them to navigate their salads.

I am not one of the experts on the board, and we have a lot of them. With that said, everything looks great. I imagine that at some point someone will point out a longer tube UVB and bracket to use. It depends on the size of your terrarium. It would be best if it was hung from the top middle with a shield that points it downward. I have learned that the UVB lighting is where you should sink your best money. of course the correct basking temps are just as important, but not expensive at all.

I have a 36x18x18 terrarium (50 gal). This new method has been irritating her eyes, so I am going to buy a Reptisun 10 because it is better and I can hang it farther away. The Reptisun bulbs are higher wattage, so of course I have to buy a new fixture that is high enough wattage. ? Here is the one that I plan on getting: Zoo Med 26061 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W Fluorescent Lamp, 22" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8HAO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pgzEBbJSZF76K

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
I recommend this fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B209YQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this bulb:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQU8HKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this fixture in both of my terrariums. It's the biggest I can get to fit in a 36 inch long terrarium. Also when I get the 48x2x2 it won't be too small. One one terrarium. I have it fixed to the glass sides with command hooks and on the other one it is slightly diagonal in the middle attached to the top screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom