Humidity too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayn3bow09

Hatchling Member
Hey guys. Last night I invested in a second ond thermometer for the cool side of the tank with a hygrometer built in. I checked it this morning, and the humidity is at 80%! I’m not sure why it’s so high. There’s a water bowl in there.. but that’s the only source of moisture. I haven’t even been misting the inside of tank.. I usually give my beardie a warm bath once a day. How can I get the humidity to calm down?take out the water bowl?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, humidity may get that high in Australia sometimes , just during part of the day. So yours may go down later as well, so check on it. You can take the water bowl out, baths only need be done once a week. You can also drip water on beardie's snout every few days for a chance to drink.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
80% RH is fine but if it gets into the high 80s %RH you need to look at dehumidifying.

A wee bit of physical chemistry :

Relationship of water vapour pressure to temperature (of the water)
vapour_pressure_of_water_vs_temperature.png

Relationship of relative humidity to temperature (of the water)
Relative_humidity_graph_from_Steam_Tables.png

can clearly be seen the warmer the water, the higher the rate of vapourisation (and higher the water vapour pressure) and this has an effect on the relative humidity of the air in the tank. I don't keep water bowls in my beardie's tubs or tanks. The water warmed by the basking light will be pushing up the RH in the tank .

My beardies have always been well hydrated because they get hydration from their daily live insects (crickets & silkworms) and the greens when I can get them to eat their greens. My girl is not a fan of the version of choi that's in season here ATM …. so I give it to the crickets (to gut load them) and she get's the gutloaded crickets and is none the wiser.

Bathing wont help with hydration unless the dragon actually drinks the water while sitting in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom