Help. Rescue beardie, put out and left to die!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theroadtwitch

Husband brought home bearded dragon a 32 yr old child just put out and left. Sickening. Have had him 3 days. I dont know anything about how old, how he was kept, ect. He is in 20 gal tank, sand, food & water bowl. 250 watt red light, a bottle of bearded dragon food, red pelletsw/meal worms n crikets
Problems: he pulls himself with front legs, back legs locked in frog position, they do flex somewhat when gently moved, or twitch when touched. He does eat, and has pooped twice. His tail tip fell off yesterday, but his tail isint normal because its stubby, i guess i mean maybe part already came off? But i put neosporin on it..it seems like its healing over. He is very gentle, responds to touch, petting. I am already hooked, and want to do whatever i can to give him what he needs. My husband just came home with a giant set up from pet store, but so many things in it, designed JUST for Beardies...so many things contradict things ive read.
We dont have anykind of reptile vet within hundred mile radius..any and all help is absolutely appreciated. Also he is not a juvenile, def an adult..

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
that is good news that he pooped don't put them on sand less headaches.some pics be good and a short video if you can you can uploaded in you tube does he look to have any kind of bone deformation like signs of MBD? get rid of the 250 watt red bulb did he had uvb? i hope your very nice husband got some a t5 10.0 is great but a t8 will do as well.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Don’t use sand in the new setup, it harbors a lot of bacteria, especially if you’re putting neosporin on him. You could get a roll of non adhesive shelf liner. Cheap, easy to clean, bugs can’t hide under it. Crickets can bite the Beardie too, just feed him a few at a time , as many as he can eat in 10 mins, at least a few times a day. Post some pictures soon, when you get it all setup.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is always so horrible to have to see a dragon dumped off like that & left to die. It is so
maddening.
Can you run over the setup you will have for him, so we can be sure it's all correct for him?
Definitely post some pictures of him if you can also.
You can use the Neosporin on the tail tip & also raw, unpasteurized honey to help with the
healing of it.
Go slow with insects & feeding since he probably hasn't been kept properly so you want to
be sure his kidneys are working properly, first before giving too much protein.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Theroadtwitch

Original Poster
Thank you all for your quick responses. We are setting his new home up now. He ate this morning, i offererd variety of things from the list from the link in one of your posts. Wasnt too exited about leafy stuff, but he did eat a few of the pellets and a peice of watermelon. And pooped again. Im just so worried about his legs, but we have proper lighting installing now i hope. When done will post pics of it and him/her? And list actual bulb type and specs. I want so much for this little dude to be happy and healthy.
My heart is full of gratitude for your help.
BTW just to let yall know, im not a total newbie to reptiley pets, i have a 4 year old wood turtle, and two painteds. All rescue--And they are happy and healthy. Im already quite taken with this beardie. Thanx again, and i hope i posted this in the right place! (Good with animals, not so good with all things tech)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We will be anxious to see all of the pictures when you get them.
I hope he is doing well!
He will probably learn to like his greens eventually so keep trying those for him. At least he
is eating some though.
How are his legs doing?
So you have a housefull then. You have painted lizards or turtles? Yes, be careful, your heart
will be stolen....
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I saw red when I read the OP's first post.

That genY a-hole who dumped this dragon should be dragged down a dark country track somewhere really remote and nasty , beaten with an iron bar and left in exact same state he left his pet in and then left to his own devices without access to a phone.

Geez all it takes a call to a rescuer …. how can that be too much effort ?

Bet they went straight down to the local petshop and bought another reptile after dumping their pet.

All the more reason for restrictions on who buys reptiles and for licencing of keepers.

Kudos to the OP for rescuing this unfortunate dragon.... the world needs more people like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom