Calcium vs. Calcium w/ D3 vs. Herptivite Sups for Juvies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
What is a good schedule for these 3 supplements (feeder dusting) for a juvenile beardie (predicated on two cricket feedings per day and a fresh salad with a new PowerSun MVB)?

Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This is always such a loaded question.
The Powersun MVB is a nice bulb, but not super strong but should be fine.
Since the Herptivite has calcium in it, you can give that one just one time per week. If he
gets adequate greens, etc then he will get plenty of vitamins.
Since you are using a MVB we usually don't recommend using D3 daily. So you can use the
regular calcium without D3 3 times per week, & the calcium with D3 1 time per week. Then
the herptivite has calcium in it so he will get calcium on the day you use that. The total days
he will receive calcium would be 5 & vitamins 1 day.
Then on 2 days per week, you can rest on the supplements. I think he will be just fine on this
schedule.
I hope that helps out.

Tracie

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you. Yes, I usually use Mega-Ray but have PowerSun this time -- I plan on switching over to the reptisun 10 fluorescent tube and an additional incandescent for a basking in October when I upgrade from a 36"x18x18 to a 4'x2x2 viv. At that point, should I stick to the same sup schedule?

I do two proteinn feedings per day - so, when I do dust, just dust 1 of the two feedings, correct?

Right now your schedule (and roughly the same that I was following) is:

Calc D3: 1x/wk
Calc: 3x/wk
Herptivite: 1x/wk
Nothing: 2x/wk (& 1 feeding/day)

So, 5 of the 14 feedings every week will be dusted in accordance with the schedule listed above. Am I correct on this?

Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you going to be switching to a T5 high output Reptisun 10 tube bulb in October?
If so, they are very strong so you could keep with the same supplementation schedule.
If you will be using the regular T8, then you can use the calcium with D3 more often
since those are not nearly as strong.
Yes, if you do two protein meals per day, only dust one of them as long as it is a decent
amount on the dusting & he eats it all.
Yes, that is correct. The reason for only 4 days with a separate calcium & 1 day with the
herptivite is because the herptivite has calcium in it. Sometimes too much calcium will
cause harder urates. He should get plenty this way.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom