Status
Not open for further replies.

lrosableo

Original Poster
And if anyone is curious the vet bill was:
$101.50 USD for emergency exam
$35.81 USD for ivermectin 1% injection
TOTAL: $137.31 USD

I was prepared to pay much more though, because I thought it would need more than a shot.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy, all this at his ripe old age. I hope the maggots are gone but I'm shocked that he was given a shot of Ivermectin. It can be harmful and even deadly to reptiles. Hopefully it was not a strong dose. Poor guy, best wishes to him.

lrosableo

Original Poster
To my knowledge he used half of the recommended dose to treat mites in bearded dragons, so maybe that's why he still seems pretty down, just doesn't feel too good from it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing! I hope he isn't in any pain.
The Ivermectin really shouldn't have been given, but I hope that he will be alright. Try to
keep him as hydrated as you can, to minimize toxins from the Ivermectin. I really hope
the maggots are all gone.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

lrosableo

Original Poster
He has a follow up Friday with a different vet, he isn't eating much at all and I will continue to mist him as much as possible. He isn't acceptjng the baby food on his tongue very well either.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry he isn't doing real well. It is that ivermectin affecting him. Can you get some
activated charcoal to get into him?
Also, you can get some parsley, cilantro, basil & oregano mixed together for help with some
detox.
Keep him around 80 in his tank overnight to help boost his immune system also.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

lrosableo

Original Poster
UPDATE

We just got back from the vet. She was very experienced and thorough. There was actually a few other dragons there.

She believes he has heart disease due to an extremely abnormal heartbeat. We elected not to continue with testing due to his old age.

I was given a can of wet food and critical care to mix together and syringe feed him (.5m 3x daily).

lrosableo

Original Poster
We didn't have a top on his tank like we should of and due to us living next to a horse farm a house fly layed eggs in his nose. We bought screening and velcroed it to the top of his cage. All of his lights are under the screen as not to burn it or block out UVB.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear your boy has some heart issues. At his age, that can probably be expected.
I'm glad the vet was good & had some experience.
How is he doing today?
Did the vet give you A&D canned food for him?
Please keep us updated on him. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Tracie

lrosableo

Original Poster
He sadly passed away last night. Thank you everyone for being so helpful and supportive. I just wish I took more photos and didn't keep putting off entering him in the calender.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm really, really sorry to hear this happened to your poor buy. :( He had a good long life with you, I know you must be devastated. I hope your heart heals soon, it's always a huge empty spot when a beloved pet dies. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH no, I am so sorry you lost him. :cry: How terrible, I know it's absolutely heart wrenching. He
had such a long life with you.
My sincere condolences to you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom