Baby beardie won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I have a baby bearded dragon that I ha e had for just over a week (she is 6weeks old) at first she was eating fine but last few couple of days she hasn't been eating only way I can get her to eat is by hand feeding her but will only eat 2-3 calcium worms a day I have offered crickets and locus veggies and fruit bug no success her temps are cold end 80f hot end 95f and basking 105f and uvb is Arcadia 10%

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like a shed is starting (especially on the tail). That can put them off of food and have them acting a bit moody for a bit. She looks nice and healthy so her appetite should return once the shed is done. Just keep making food available on the regular schedule and let her take what she wants.

ThatsPleny

Original Poster
Yea she is in shed her tail as starting too peel but my concern is that over the last 2-3 days she has only ate 3-4 calci worms I always keep fruit and veg available also I keep some calci worms in a dish for her and she isn't basking I need to move her for her too bask as she kept lying down on top of a hide and was dark all day long but since I moved it out she is moving around much more and much brighter than usual hopefully the shed hurrys up so she can start eating again

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Try hand feeding her ….

I find it works nicely with hatchlings , one bug at a time between the fingertips …

What I do to coax them to start eating is snip the head off (with scissors) and squeeze out of the bug juices and dab this liquid/goo on her lips near the snout …. when it tastes the yummy stuff she will lick it off , then while she's licking and eating (timing is everything) gently but firmly press said bug against end of lips …. if she's is hungry (and she will be) … no more bug.

Examples of other methods are shown here : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=235583

zachj

I just got a beardie from petsmart (i know petsmart is not good but that is the only thing within a 100mile radius) about 3 days ago. He is about 2-3 months old. The first day he ate about 4 small crickets. Second day he ate about 6 and today he ate about 10. I am feeding him as much as he can eat in 15 minutes. I think it may just be relocation stress but how many should they eat at this age?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
zachj":37euuggh said:
I just got a beardie from petsmart (i know petsmart is not good but that is the only thing within a 100mile radius) about 3 days ago. He is about 2-3 months old. The first day he ate about 4 small crickets. Second day he ate about 6 and today he ate about 10. I am feeding him as much as he can eat in 15 minutes. I think it may just be relocation stress but how many should they eat at this age?

How big are the crickets you are getting for him ?
see this for sizings :
smaller_crickets_sizes.png

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
zachj":13esitna said:
They look like they are about the 15 day old ones. The “smal” size from petsmart.

OK : he's going have to eat 20 of these per meal to get enough protein. Very time consuming and damnedly difficult for him and you to keep track off all these little crickets once they are in the tank.
I suggest getting the equivalent to 20day old crickets for the next two or three weeks , then upsize to 25day old crickets.

With insects like roaches , crickets and locusts there ratio of protein : chiton (exoskeleton) is much higher with smaller crickets than with larger ones. I have graph somewhere that examines this for crickets (in relation to the age (size) of each chicket but can't lay my hands on it atm).

If you buy crickets that are a little shorter than the space between the hatchling's eyes , you'll be giving him the ideal size and he's get plenty of protein from each meal of crickets …. and instead of needing to eat maybe 20 of the 15D old crickets per meal , he will get sufficient protein from maybe 8 - 10 crickets per meal and he and you will be more easily able to keep track of the insects.

zachj

Thanks for all the info! Next time i go i will grab a little bigger ones. Should i also start feeding him worms? I’ve heard mealworms can cause impaction but maybe phoenix worms are good for my little guy? Any other suggestions?

ThatsPleny

Original Poster
Yea .mealworms aren't good as there hard for them to digest. Try calci worms my little one goes crazy for them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
zachj":1wcsarx6 said:
Thanks for all the info! Next time i go i will grab a little bigger ones. Should i also start feeding him worms? I’ve heard mealworms can cause impaction but maybe phoenix worms are good for my little guy? Any other suggestions?

BSFL (phoenix or calci worms)
blowfly gents
silkworms (small size , about 1" long , to medium size , 1.5" long).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom