Big thick shed patch on bearded dragons causing her pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky146

100887-3593566646.jpg
100887-3593566646.jpg
]My bearded dragon has a big patch on her back, back legs and tail, looks like it's a load of shed build up but when it peels there are no scales underneath but white skin, its causing her problems when walking as she is in pain and she is also loosing weight, we feed her loads, everything is right, perfect heat and calcium, she's starting to eat less and drink more water, she is a rehomed bearded dragon and clearly wasn't treated right, we have also took her to the vets multiple times and have had trouble finding what it is that is wrong with her, the shop we brought her from has been closed down and she was also mistreated as she had mites and drastic weight loss when we got her, we just really need help and an idea of what it is!! Please respond!!l

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a pretty serious infection of some kind. Possibly fungal. I would have a vet run a skin test to find out what you're dealing with. If it's a fungal infection, a combination of topical creams and oral antifungal meds (voriconazole, itraconazole) can be prescribed to treat it. For now I would treat it as an infection and put some topical antifungal cream like lamisil on it and see if it start to show improvement.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
It looks like she is on sand, you will need to get rid of the sand. It harbors a lot of bacteria, you could vacuum it out & clean the tank. For now I would get a roll of non adhesive shelf liner to line the tank with. That way you could treat her with the creams that Cooperdragon recommend. Don’t leave any crickets or bugs in her tank. Do you have a digital probe thermometer ? Hopefully she can’t get to close to the lights, it almost looks like a burn too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor thing, that is pretty serious. Take her to ONLY an experienced reptile vet, one that is very familiar with beardies. Otherwise you will waste your money. Let them do a skin scrape , better yet they can just gently snag a small piece of the flaky part so as to not cause more pain + stress.

Other than that , the other 2 posters gave great advice. Get her off the sand ASAP, it will stick and irritate the wounds. And the antifungal cream can be Lamisil or Monistat as well as raw, unpasteurized honey that can kill most bacteria or keep it from growing + spreading. BTW, can you post more pics in better light ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look painful for her. I agree, she needs to have a skin culture done, absolutely. It
may be fungal in nature but the only way to know for sure is to do a skin culture.
The raw, unpasteurized honey or anti-fungal cream would be a good start to put on the area,
to immediately help out.
Since she isn't eating & is losing weight, you can get some baby food such as chicken or turkey
baby food & mix it with either squash or sweet potato baby food. Use either a plastic dropper
or syringe to drip some food onto her nose to get some nutrition into her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom