Exotic Animal Pet Insurance

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Exotic Animal Pet Insurance

Postby SydneyGaia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:37 pm

I have never been a person to do pet insurance. However, I was just quoted by Nationwide for pet insurance for my 7 month beardie for just $9/mo ($86/year if paid in-full). 90% of costs are covered after the first $50. However, treatment for parasites is specifically excluded - but, xrays (recently had done for impaction) and bloodwork (had done for my former beardie) would both be included. This was by Nationwide, who appears to be one of the few companies that will cover avian and exotic pets.

Does anyone have any experience specifically with exotic pet insurance? I am certainly considering it, after my recent beardie vet bills. Thanks!
Last edited by SydneyGaia on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SydneyGaia
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Exotic Animal Pet Insurance

Postby Drache613 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Hello,

I haven't ever used a pet insurance before, but I know a lot do on here so I'm sure that others
with experience will chime in.
It can really help save money if anything goes wrong & your dragon needs medical care. It is
pretty affordable also, for the coverage it offers.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:58 pm

SydneyGaia wrote:I have never been a person to do pet insurance. However, I was just quoted by Nationwide for pet insurance for my 7 month beardie for just $9/mo ($86/year if paid in-full). 90% of costs are covered after the first $50. However, treatment for parasites is specifically excluded - but, xrays (recently had done for impaction) and bloodwork (had done for my former beardie) would both be included. This was by Nationwide, who appears to be one of the few companies that will cover avian and exotic pets.

Does anyone have any experience specifically with exotic pet insurance? I am certainly considering it, after my recent beardie vet bills. Thanks!

What country are you in ?

As far as I have heard, the only pet insurance available is coverage for cats and dogs (and horses ?) , there is nothing available like insurance against reptile vet costs at all in Australia for reptiles which is real bummer :(
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless (M)(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old . .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:49 am

I haven't used it but have read some experiences over the years. Pay close attention to exactly what is and what is not covered and what deductibles are. It also helps to find out if your vet accepts the insurance or if it is set up on a reimbursement basis. Some people have found it not to be worthwhile due to insufficient coverage vs expenses.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby SydneyGaia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:02 am

I am in the USA. VPI/Nationwide is the only pet insurance for exotics and is accepted across the board (because VPI reimburses you, the vet's policies do not matter).
SydneyGaia
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:15 am

CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion