Exotic Animal Pet Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
I have never been a person to do pet insurance. However, I was just quoted by Nationwide for pet insurance for my 7 month beardie for just $9/mo ($86/year if paid in-full). 90% of costs are covered after the first $50. However, treatment for parasites is specifically excluded - but, xrays (recently had done for impaction) and bloodwork (had done for my former beardie) would both be included. This was by Nationwide, who appears to be one of the few companies that will cover avian and exotic pets.

Does anyone have any experience specifically with exotic pet insurance? I am certainly considering it, after my recent beardie vet bills. Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I haven't ever used a pet insurance before, but I know a lot do on here so I'm sure that others
with experience will chime in.
It can really help save money if anything goes wrong & your dragon needs medical care. It is
pretty affordable also, for the coverage it offers.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SydneyGaia":3uvkha27 said:
I have never been a person to do pet insurance. However, I was just quoted by Nationwide for pet insurance for my 7 month beardie for just $9/mo ($86/year if paid in-full). 90% of costs are covered after the first $50. However, treatment for parasites is specifically excluded - but, xrays (recently had done for impaction) and bloodwork (had done for my former beardie) would both be included. This was by Nationwide, who appears to be one of the few companies that will cover avian and exotic pets.

Does anyone have any experience specifically with exotic pet insurance? I am certainly considering it, after my recent beardie vet bills. Thanks!

What country are you in ?

As far as I have heard, the only pet insurance available is coverage for cats and dogs (and horses ?) , there is nothing available like insurance against reptile vet costs at all in Australia for reptiles which is real bummer :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't used it but have read some experiences over the years. Pay close attention to exactly what is and what is not covered and what deductibles are. It also helps to find out if your vet accepts the insurance or if it is set up on a reimbursement basis. Some people have found it not to be worthwhile due to insufficient coverage vs expenses.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am in the USA. VPI/Nationwide is the only pet insurance for exotics and is accepted across the board (because VPI reimburses you, the vet's policies do not matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom