Is it normal for a new beardie to get runny poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschasch

I have recently began caring for a juvenile beardie. He is 3 months old. He's in a 40 gallon breeder, with a basking temp of 109 and a cool side temp of just under 80. The breeder was feeding him dusted dubias, and crickets, but I have since switched him to small/medium bsfl. He has pooped once a day since he arrived. The first looked solid and normal. The second was a bit softer, but still ok. Now today right after his first bath, his poop was runny and not solid at all!!! Could this be from the stress of being shipped halfway across the country to his forever home? Or is it something more serious? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It could be stress from relocation or just an upset stomach from the diet change. Unless it continues for more than a couple of weeks it's probably not a big deal. Your temperature gradient is good. Do you have a good UVB light for him too?

Rschasch

Original Poster
Ok that's good news! I was hoping it was most likely from the move/ diet change! We will continue to keep a very close eye on him and make sure he stays hydrated during the transition. I have the repti-sun 10.0 T5HO 22" uvb light. It sits atop the tank and I replaced the mesh cage topper with a custom made top, which is more like thick metal wire than a mesh. He should be getting more uvb that way instead of the mesh top! This is what my tank topper is made from so it has much larger openings than the standard wire mesh top!
100841-1603278048.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that sounds good and is a nice light. I'd just give it another couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Rschasch

Original Poster
100841-2902390291.jpg
100841-5027908701.jpg
This is his current setup if that helps at all! He is very active and very alert, I just hope his poop gets better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom