New bearded dragon owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittanysimmers

Hello everyone. I just got a bearded dragon from a girl I know, she said that the bd didnt shed properly and that it still had skin on it's eyes, that she hasnt been able to get it to eat, and she didnt know what all is wrong with it. She gave us a cage and lights but her night heat light went out. We took the bd to petsmart just to get a light and a temperature gauge. When we got the lizard home we sat it under the light for a minute to heat back up and then washed her eyes. She can open them but doesnt open them often. The guy at petsmart told us she was about 4 months old. She eats very little fruits but she does poop, we give her baths almost daily and mist her often just to make sure she doesnt dehydrate. Heated side of her tank is about 90-95°f but she hasn't been very active today.. I'm worried that we may be doing something wrong or that she is ill. I take her outside on direct sun for about 20 minutes a day and we try not to force feed her just let her do it on her own. Like I said she eats little bits but Idk what all we can do to help her be more active and to keep her eyes open..

pechadm88

If her eyes were having problems, it may take some time now that you have cleaned them for her to get used to the brightness of it. As long as your temps don't get lower than 65-70 at night, your beardie will be fine and won't need a night lamp.

You should have a basking light 75-100 watt, and a Reptisun 10.0 Uvb T5HO lamp fixture and bulb for it. It is one of the best lamps out there for him right now, as you will learn on this site! Temps on the left side should be about 100, with the basking area 100-110, while the cool side is about 80. A digital probe thermometer is best for this.

Note that bearded dragons skin don't absorb water. So misting them may only make their cage more humid. The only way they will get any of it is if they directly eat it (bugs and veggies) or drink it from being in the bath or the droplets on it's face when misting.

If taking her outside, spend at least 30 minutes outside, if it's cloudy, even longer. The longer you have her outside the better! Do NOT put her in a glass enclosure outside as she will fry. Always remember to provide shade for times she may get too hot.

How long have you had her? Post pictures if you can of her setup and her, so we can better help you make her feel better.

Brittanysimmers

Original Poster
100839-8179627577.jpg
this is where we have her. I read on here yesterday about having them out of their cage would be fine and once I took her out and we "cuddled" for a bit she became super active. I have only had her for about 4 days so I'm still learning a lot about her. She did eat some watermelon and she has become more and more active but still lays around a lot. I'm not sure what kind of light we have for her, it's just what the lady gave me. It heats really well and the thermometer we have in the heated side stays between 95-100 depending on time of day. Humidity stays at about 30. I think she was out of the cage most of the time with the lady who I got her from, her son is about 3 and always had her out from pictures she posted. I'll go to the store tonight to get her different lights. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom