13yo Beardie, nose bleeding, maggots? moving in and out

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrosableo

I was out overnight and when I came home today I noticed my bearded dragons nose bleeding on one side, it mostly looked like a dark red blood possibly old. I wiped his nose with a dry towel and the very dark red coming out of his nostril came off. Two things moving retreated back inside, and soon came back out. The nose returned to what it had looked like before, it looks like there are two small maggots moving in and out of his nose.

Sometimes a fly will get in his tank and I wont be able to get it out. This isnt because his tank is gross it's due to the lights and the fact that I live next to a horse farm.

I scheduled a vet appointment tomorrow (2 hours away!!) but I cannot find my wallet containing all of my cards and bank information to be able to put down any sort of payment and am worried that I will have to cancel.

He hasnt been eating the past few days and I thought it was due to his age and was going to begin supplementing with babyfood today.

My question is, should I try to remove them with tweasers before the vet appointment to prevent any more damage or wait?(though the appointment may have to be canceled due to my wallet being lost).

I appologize for bad formatting and spelling, im a mess.
Will post photos ASAP

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Are you positive they are maggots ? Sometimes when beardies shed there will be small pieces of skin stuck in the nose that goes in + out as they breathe. If you're sure that it's actually maggots, go ahead + try to get them out if you can do so without harming her. If they appear at the tip of the nostril it sounds like you can grab them with tweezers.

Here is how you post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh yes, grab that maggot out ASAP. Looks like you can get a hold of it. Be careful + be patient.

lrosableo

Original Poster
I tried but its hard to grab and I am scared of hurting him more, would you say that it is safe to wait until 2:30 tomorrow? I found my wallet.

lrosableo

Original Poster
Oh and I wanted to mention before anyone says anything about his underbite.
Hes been seen by a vet before and hes been good ever since I got him four years ago. The old owners did not give him a proper diet, habitat, or lighting.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I would get to a qualified vet ASAP. The maggots can do a lot of damage , they grow quickly and may be feeding on the flesh.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy, I hope not too much damage will occur in that time period. Is there no emergency vet ? Not trying to harass you, just thinking of how the maggots can release toxins that cause tissue to die + they dig further in. It's a bad scenario. Best wishes to you + your buddy.

lrosableo

Original Poster
I'm calling all of them that I can, I am on hold with the last one, the rest don't take reptiles.
I went to the store to get tweasers, and by the time I was home they were too far in to take out.

lrosableo

Original Poster
None of them in my area are able to take reptiles. I am going to call the vet in the morning and try to get my appointment moved up. wish me luck

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, I am so sorry, how terrible! I wish you were able to remove them, but it wouldn't
be wise to dig them out if they are not sticking out where you can use tweezers. I hope they
haven't done too much damage also.
Good luck at the vets & let us know how that goes for him.

Tracie

lrosableo

Original Poster
He has gone to the vet and was dianoised with Myiasis (maggot infestation).

They gave him .1 mg of ivermectin commonly used for mites, since it was a similar situation, but the vet could not find anything online about what to do with a bearded dragon in such a situation. He was very good to make sure that what he was doing was safe.

He said they should be dead/paralyzed within the next couple hours. Unfortunately they did not seem much different but he was no longer bleeding. Tony scratched one out of his nose the night before the vet visit and afterwords I was able to get out another. It came out in two pieces due to it latching on and I was able to slowly draw it out of the nose by applying light stroking pressure towards the nostril.

He is still not eating and did not take much baby food, which I occasionally will feed him when he has not even as often due to his age. He usually licks it up quickly but this time had his eyes closed the whole time and I then noticed how when he took a deep breath it sounded like his nose was hissing and sometimes whistling. I stopped feeding him because he wasn't taking it and his breathing became more labored. I am calling in for a follow up with another vet tomorrow as I ended up going to an emergency vet and canceled the appointment.

He no longer seems to have maggots in his nose, but I am not sure that he is fully well yet. His tired behavior could be due to the shot though.

Thank you to everyone for your concern!

TLDR; went to vet, got shot to kill maggots, didn't kill them but got them out. Still seems unwell, but is no longer bleeding and looks to be clear of maggots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom