Foster Dragon...need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenaS

Hello all!

I foster animals for my local animal shelter and usually its cats, dogs, guinea pigs...but they asked if I could foster a bearded dragon with MBD for a month to help him recover. So while I am submerged in learning all I can about beardies, I want to make sure he is improving and I can't seem to find any websites with signs that he is! He SEEMS like he is getting better...I've had him 10 days or so, I got him a ReptiSun light, his temperatures seem like they are in the proper range and I have Emeraid to feed him every other day (as prescribed by the vet) as well as calcium glubonate daily. He will eat mealworms (I know there are better choices, but that's all I can find at the moment...I'm working on it!) and SOMETIMES he will eat salad - I make him a little mix of endive, red peppers, carrots, apples, cucumbers...he mostly only eats the veggies if there happens to be a worm on them.

When he first came he was flat...they were calling him Flat Stanley...he was so pancake-y...he seems to hold his head up a lot more and sort of "swims" around his cage. I hope those are signs that maybe he is getting better!

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!!! TIA!!

Jena

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jena, it's so nice that you're expending such time + energy to help this poor guy ! It sounds like you're doing the best you can and have improved his quality of life + possibly saved his life. He may never regain mobility or may regain some, but he can gain strength and feel better over all.

Can you post pics of him showing his full body + also his set up ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

And , if possible, a video of him moving about ?

JenaS

Original Poster
Thank you so much for responding!

His set up is...remedial...I realize. I’m adding things as I can, this is all the shelter had, I added the ReptiSun light. He didn’t feel like walking around, so I couldn’t get a video but here are some pics...sweet Flat Stanley ??

100762-2267953712.jpg

100762-2608237192.jpg

100762-7374294284.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, he is a nice looking fellow. :) Aside from his thin legs he doesn't appear to have deformities, so that's a real plus.

So is the Reptisun a coil or compact ? Those type don't usually produce much uvb. The long tube [ linear ] bulbs like the Reptisun 10.0 t5 [ t5 is stronger than t8 ] is one of the best bulbs for uvb. And if you can, take the red bulb back and just go to Walmart for a halogen bulb, try a 73-75 watt, possibly a 100.

If you could get him out in the sun [ but not in a glass tank ] but just sitting on your lap or in the grass for 30-60 minutes a day that would strengthen + help him more quickly. He may regain a bit of mobility but there's no sure way to tell. Still, he looks alert and not as bad as he could be. He looks very sweet , poor little dude.

JenaS

Original Poster
Thank you so much! Well, he is supposedly 3 years old so I think he's pretty teeny if he is, isn't he? He's not as pancaked as he was for sure, so I guess he's feeling a little better at least!

Yea, its the compact one...I'll get the long one! I didn't know which to get since the tank was so small...

I had a regular bulb but it got SO hot in there, like 105 and I thought that was too warm...so I put the red one. Should I switch it back?

I have a bigger tank, it used to be my son's snakes until he outgrew it, but I didn't know if he would like a bigger tank...what do you think? I was thinking I can make like a ramp for him to get on his rock if I had more space...And I will take him outside, I meant to do that today actually I just forgot!

Is it ok that he's not eating a very varied diet? They said that the Emeraid would supply him with most of his nutritional needs but I don't want him to be a picky eater or this will all just happen again with whoever adopts him, right?

Sorry for so many questions! I've been trying to find answers for 10 days so I have a few built up :lol:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Questions are fine, that's how we figure out what to do . :) A larger tank would be fine, a hot side of 100 and a cool side 80 is ideal for an adult and it's easier to achieve that temp. gradient in a larger tank. The Emeraide is O.K, but it's good that he's eating real food as well. If you can get large crickets [ or at least medium ] or medium dubia roaches that would be ideal. Do any pet stores near you sell anything other than mealworms ? If not, a few every day is fine along with salad. The best greens are kale, turnip, mustard , collard, dandelion. Butternut squash is good also.

JenaS

Original Poster
Thank you so much!!

I'm gonna switch him to the bigger tank! I'll put the regular bulb back in and order the long ReptiSun tube. Right? I'm sure there are pics on here of good set ups, I'll look for them!

All the ones I've been to have only had mealworms, wax worms, and super worms. I read no super worms, and I wasn't sure about wax worms so I just got the meal worms. I'm sure they had crickets...I'll keep looking for the roaches,too...I guess... :puke:

I'll retool his salad recipe and hopefully he will get as good as he can!

I really appreciate your time and answers!! And so does Stanley! This website has been so helpful!!

Thanks!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! Most people here are helpful + friendly. :) As for the bigger tank, is it a 40 or 55 ? Post a pic of it as well when you have time. And tell Stan I'm happy to help him. :) BTW, superworms are O.K but only 2-3 at a time in his condition. He will love them.

JenaS

Original Poster
I think the other tank is a 40 long? I don’t remember, I cleaned it out and it’s drying. I’ll take a pic once it’s all set up. BUT IN THE MEANTIME!!!! Look who got all the way up onto his rock all by himself!! I feel like that’s a good sign, right?? He’s never done that before!

Thanks again for all your help!!!

100762-4809088609.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom