10-15 Super + 20 cricket daily still hungry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again, my 8 month old loves his bugs... maybe to much? Is it safe to feed him in the rang of 20-30 crickets plus 10 or so supers everyday ?? He destroys them all as soon as I put the container in with him and he will keep eating more if I offer!

I read a Lot of people feeding way less or having a hard time getting them to eat at all... but I would just like to know if it's safe for him to keep eating so much? He still poops daily and shows all signs of a healthy happy lizard, I would just like him to stay that way.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is a lot of supers. You might want to offer some large roaches or horn worms instead of supers. They are protein rich and healthier than supers. They are large so they will probably be more filling than crickets too.

Travistwiggy

Original Poster
There is a Lot of bad talk about supers on here ... right now I have been breading them so I have a Lot on hand but I'm ordering silk worm that will be here next week and hoping I can breed them as well.. I live in Canada so I can't get roaches?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I agree - WAY TOO MANY supers. No more the 2 or 3 supers in a sitting (if the dragon is over 12 months old) and never more often than once of twice a week. TREATS ONLY.

Breed silkworms : much easier and these ARE suitable to use as a staple feeder insect , one of the best feeder insects you can get. If you let a couple dozen silkworms form cocoons and become moths , and the harvest the eggs laid by the female moths you can either hatch these "right away" , or refrigerate the excess in an airtight glass sample bottle or in ziplock bags (on the paper they've been laid on) once they change colour to grey colour (indicates viable and fertilized) the refrigerated eggs will become dormant and are good for up to 2 years and can taken out and allowed to return to room temperature and will hatch in 2 or 3 weeks.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Travistwiggy":2f3eki6x said:
There is a Lot of bad talk about supers on here ... right now I have been breading them so I have a Lot on hand but I'm ordering silk worm that will be here next week and hoping I can breed them as well.. I live in Canada so I can't get roaches?

Sure you can : I live in Australia and was able to find these Canadian breeders/sellers of dubia roaches : https://www.kijiji.ca/v-friendship-networking/markham-york-region/dubia-roaches-for-sale/1375591738?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/city-of-toronto/superworms-other-feeder-insects-for-sale-by-breeder/1202311150?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
these took me under a minute to find using Google.

Roaches are easy to breed .

Travistwiggy

Original Poster
Thank you for replies. I will cut his supers down and keep on the crickets till my order of silks and BSFL gets here... hopefully after a few month I can have some silky moths to switch his staple from crickets to silk worm?

Travistwiggy

Original Poster
100768-9225139645.jpg
100768-5612359554.jpg
here a few pics... I ordered silk worm eggs,I'm going to take a shot at breeding them. I now use BSFL and crickets and just give him supers as a treat every few days. He is so hooked on them he goes nuts every time.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ah, look at that dude. :) He looks good and healthy, just now getting a bit of a big belly so you caught it in time to make a correction before he gets overweight. Being too heavy really decreases their quality of life.

Travistwiggy

Original Poster
Thanks !! Yah I love my little guy, I want to do all I can for him. Been reading none stop since I got him home. So far his house is coming along great . I'm starting a fake Rockwall background project next set of days off ?
100768-6815338470.jpg

Azule

I've had my bearded about a month and he's about 3 months and is a little over 8 inches and will 10 qrickets at a time n will keep eating them if I offer them n I give him some cut up carrots and bananas. He loves his bananas. Do u think I'm feeding him to much?and heres my setup for him
100977-9308694843.jpg
100977-5510979234.jpg

Azule

And I've been feeding him small crickets instead of big ones. Do u think I should start feeding him big crickets instead of small ones

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Azule, that's a nice looking set up for your little cutie. :) What type of lighting do you have ? That's an extremely important thing in a dragon's life.

For feeding, babies are much different than adults. Babies can eat 30-60 bugs a day, so you can feed him 10 crickets 2-3 X a day, and he is ready to move up to medium crickets but definitely not large. If you can't get medium, stick withe small until he gets to at least 10 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom