Saphira

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got a beardie from a family who neglected her.
she has no problem with me just she can only eat three crickets and she's two. I am new to lizards but I know this isn't right. Also she is scratching at her vivarium and I let her out. She doesn't run around and occasionally if she does she falls on her back leg. She is colourless. I don't know what to do please help!!!!! We gave her a bath because we thought the grey may have been calci dust but it wasn't. Please help!!! :|

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Here’s a good list of things for her to eat, you might even have some in your fridge. She might be used to more veggies than crickets. You could try Dubia roaches, horn worms, there is quite a variety of good bugs online. Mine won’t eat crickets at all. This is a great message board for all questions. Can you post some pictures of her ?
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

SaphiraDragon

Original Poster
Thank you! With the lighting I don't know the brand because they came with the vivarium but we use calci sand for the substrate. As for the temps we use an exo terra thermometer. We try and keep it between 90 and 95, and we will try and lower it but gradually because her previous owners said they kept it between 100 and 105 which even I know that is way to hot! I have tried using horn worms but she won't touch them so I will try dubia roaches. I give her fresh fruit and veg to but so far I haven't seen her eat any. Thank you for list of foods I'm going to try some with her. I also read that baby food is a good idea!? Do you recommend this? Pictures will come soon!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. You need to get rid of that calcium sand. It's one of the worst substrate there is. Paper towels, tile, non adhesive shelf liner are all good. Those don't cause impaction. You want a temp gun to get the proper temps on the basking spot. It's fine if the temp is 100 to 105. Make sure she's has a cool side no warmer than 78 or so. Also she probably has relocation stress and that can last a week or two.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I’ve used baby food before. I have Repashy Grub pie, it’s powered insects, You mix it with hot water and it’s sets up like jello.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Get rid of the sand, you can vacuum it out. You can get the non adhesive shelf liner cheap. Less than 10$ a roll.

SaphiraDragon

Original Poster
Thank you for telling me about the sand. She's recently been rolling over and eating it and I was wondering if she was ok. I didn't realise that 100-105 is ok, but I had a friend who has a beardie and she said that it was way to hot. I think she's not used to eating much because she hardly eats anything. I've tried dubia roaches crickets and hornworms. Moving on to baby food. She also does this weird thing where she licks everything in her vivarium, and she has also started opening and shutting her mouth. Does anyone know what it means? Her colour hasn't changed and she still looks grey.
Thanks for helping

SaphiraDragon":uetpsba7 said:
Thank you for telling me about the sand. She's recently been rolling over and eating it and I was wondering if she was ok. I didn't realise that 100-105 is ok, but I had a friend who has a beardie and she said that it was way to hot. I think she's not used to eating much because she hardly eats anything. I've tried dubia roaches crickets and hornworms. Moving on to baby food. She also does this weird thing where she licks everything in her vivarium, and she has also started opening and shutting her mouth. Does anyone know what it means? Her colour hasn't changed and she still looks grey.
Thanks for helping

“The taste test.” They lick things to explore them, this is why they get so much sand ingested.
Opening and closing their mouth is them controlling their temperature, it’s perfectly healthy!

SaphiraDragon

Original Poster
Thank you!
She still doesn't move around and she is still grey and pale.
I know bearded dragons aren't supposed to look like and I recently went to the zoo with my sister and we were looking at the bearded dragons and they were all bright and healthy looking.
I really don't know what to do with her.
On the bright side, she eats baby food so that's better.
Thanks for your help

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Mine will glass surf to until let him out to run around. Mystic does not like it too hot for too long. He wants to be out to poop in the kitchen, then he will find a nice spot to hide. Mystic looks pale in his tank, when he’s out his colors really come out. I do take him outside for some real UVB, just to table on the back deck. He knows to just enjoy it or it’s time to go back inside.
83443-5203585140.jpg
This is his sweet spot in the kitchen by the fridge.

SaphiraDragon

Original Poster
He looks so healthy! I have replaced calci sand with beech chips, it's the only thing I could find in our local pet shop. No shelf liner in our food shops. Paper towels she would just kick up. I think she's quite boarded because she keeps kicking and scratching her vivarium. I take her in to the kitchen for a run around but she freezes. Outside she just try's to make a great escape. Any idea how I can keep her occupied? I play with her but she doesn't really move. I'll put some pictures on soon.
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If you can find tile from your local home improvement store I would recommend that- I use it in my tank and I love it - it is the easiest thing to keep clean and no smell if you clean up right away (after they poop) w/ vinegar and water mixture- I have a spray bottle sitting next to Hiccups tank w/ paper towels and it is very easy and convenient-- I pull the tiles out every couple of weeks to clean under them from all the calcium falling thru from the bugs- the tile is not smooth but like a textured surface - just a suggestion --
Karrie

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Are you in the US ? The beech chips and all loose substrates harbor bacteria. The non adhesive shelf is so cheap & easy to clean & nice for a liner for the tiles. Here I can get it in Walmart, Target, any Kitchen store, Bed Bath & Beyond. You might be able to find it online. Also you could get 1 nice tile to try on top of the shelf liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom