Sudden Swollen Neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'd like to add that I appreciate you keeping me in your thoughts, it helps to know you all understand and are here for me. It will never be forgotten the advice and support you have provided me with. ?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so sorry Em and of course you can hang around and help. We need people with your experience to pass it along to those that need help. Thanks for thinking of that. As for getting another dragon, they tend to find you when you least expect them. I've been rescuing dragons for 12 years and I have 5 that have their forever home with me. It's been expensive, vet wise, but I wouldn't change a minute of it. I truly believe that their soul crosses the Rainbow Bridge and meet up with all the other lost dragons. I helps heal my heart. I lost my Imp just before Xmas and found Freya at a friend's in January; Freya needed a new home. I'd sworn to keep the dragons at 4, but Freya came home anyway.

As for grief, it can paralyze you for awhile. It happens every time I lose one of my dragons. I'm glad I have young ones now, even though Gabriel will be 8 years old soon.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, I believe the same with regard to the Rainbow Bridge. I'm sorry you suffered a loss before Christmas, it is such a hard thing to go through. I realise now that time heals, I still have my bad days, I miss him very much.

I picked him up today, he is with me at home, where I know he would want to be. It's a sad day but I'm just glad that he is back with me.

I had some beautiful canvases made, he would be proud 'cause he was such a little poser, knew he was a looker! I'd love to share them.

91928-3015261395.jpg
91928-1431220142.jpg
91928-5652667317.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You did the utmost that you could and he had a great life with you. I can tell by the pictures how much you loved him. I love when we get to know our dragons enough to know their personalities, as they have great ones. I miss all my lost dragons, Imp was just the last, so far. I love my babies.
And you loved yours. You'll find a time when you'll want another, I seem to find one about a month afterwards, without trying, as if I've been lead to the new one.

You are a very talented artist, love all the pictures :D

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh most definitely, I adored him, everybody knew he came first before anything else. It's the what if's that get me but I know if I could have done anything then I would have, he brought me so much joy and his personality was one of a kind. Sometimes I feel that I focused on the aneurysm so much that I missed something else but I can't change anything and I'm always saying sorry to him.

I can honestly say, you all here provided heartfelt support and you did make it a little easier, it's helped to talk about it 'cause the people in my life don't have an understanding of how sensitive I am and what having Rocky meant to me, although they try. ?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
My family is like that, too, they know I have beardies and ask about them but otherwise, they're lizards and my strange hobby. Even though my sis told me I was a dragon mom through and through :lol:

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That is adorable! Yea I'm pretty sure I'd like to have another, when the time is right. In my head I often jump to the part of illness or loss when I feel I'm starting to get attached and that is my problem but I tell myself now that it's not a reason not to give an animal a wonderful life filled with everything I have to offer, I just have to find a way to overcome that somehow.

For the record, I've never met you and I know you're a beardie mom through and through, lol. ?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh Em, thank you for saying that. It's the best part of me (besides my huge family, son and grandchildren). I realized yesterday when I took Gabriel to the vet, I was right, he had an RI. It's amazing how much knowledge we absorb when we have dragons. So for the first time ever, I have a dragon with an RI. Because of all the info I've read about it over the years, I got Gabriel in just as he was starting one, so the vet said he'd be just fine. I'm so glad...

You''ll have to let me know if you decided to get another beardie. Please...

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh poor Gabriel! I'm glad he will get over it, evidently he is very strong and will overcome anything! And I agree, without everything we've learned, we just wouldn't be aware something is wrong. That is why this site is wonderful, any new beardie parent would rely completely on pet shop info if not for places like this.
I was talking to my aunt last night who thinks it would be nice to adopt a rescue, that it would help not only the little guy I give a home to but me also and that talking to him about Rocky will be comforting.

I'll give myself some space to heal and go from there, I'm sure one will find me. You guys will be the first to hear the news ?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
If you do decide to get a rescue, contact me, as that's what I've been doing for 12 years now. I have 5 dragons and I've learned to watch out for signs that they're ill. I've learned they need to be really well hydrated to stay really healthy. I've also learned that they hide illness really well. I've lost 14 beardies altogether, from 2 small babies I got from the pet shop to try to help, but they were too far gone, I named them Joy and Hope. It's rewarding, even though you have to be prepared with vet $ as rescues really need to be vetted right away from a good exotic vet. I haven't found any dragon insurance in Canada, not sure about the States, though.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm sorry you've lost so many, it must be difficult. But they are so rewarding, I'm sure I will get another and will contact you for sure when the time comes, I'll need as much advice as possible! How is Gabriel doing?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Gabriel seems to be recovering well, he gets a shot every 3 days and has had 5 out of the 10 he'll need to get. He hates the shots, though. We see the vet on Saturday, so I'll know then and I'll let you know.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh glad to hear is doing well, I'm sure the shots are no fun! On the road to recovery is a great thing, he'll be bouncing back soon I'm sure.

I looked on our RSPCA rescue site today, they currently have 4 beardies in their care so I'm considering rehoming one. I'd take them all if I could! I'm going to give it some thought and move the rest of my stuff into my new place and see what I can do. Let me know how Gabriel is doing. ?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Gabriel's getting his last shot tomorrow but he's still not acting himself, so he sees the vet tomorrow afternoon at 3p. I'm hoping she doesn't hear popping like she heard when we went in 1/2 way thru the shots. So he'll probably get more medication. He doesn't have foam coming out of the side of his mouth anymore, so he has improved. The vet and I don't think he's completely clear, though.

That's a good idea, going to check out the beardies, just pick the healthiest one. The one that's the most alert, looking for good, eating greens, too. Did they say how old they were? And 4 beardies, if you're not used to that many and don't have the time to take care of so many, one is more than enough. I have 5 but I've had 5 for years, every time I lose one, within a month I have another one. They just seem to pop out of the woodwork when I have space, it's just so strange. I've been rescuing for 12 years, so have lost a few, but it's uncanny how I always find another one. I lose Imp at Xmas, went to visit a friend 2 weeks later and brought Freya home, she needed rehoming. And she's doing well after 2x meds for pinworms this spring. She's clear now, thank goodness.

I have to post pics on my site, so check it out. Just search Gabriel and you'll find it. It's really long, too.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi guys,
I've made a small step by agreeing to beardie-sit my friends daughter's beardie, Draco. Just for the week while she's away. This will tell me if I have the need to have another, looking forward to it! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom