Opening mouth/wheezing/smacking lips - URI??

Status
Not open for further replies.

potterhead345

I just picked up my juvenile bearded dragon today. He’s about 4 months old, maybe 10-12 inches long, has a 40 gallon breeder, tile substrate, 106/82 temperature. I fed him some crickets today when I put him in the cage and put a water bowl in the cage because that’s what he had been used to. I noticed he’s been opening his mouth and making little hiccup sounds and puffing out his beard. I haven’t noticed any unusual looking mucus and he pooped normally right after I brought him home. He also keeps smacking his mouth. Does it seem like he could have a URI from where I got him? Or is it just stress? Or something else?

It took us about two hours to get him home so I’m wondering if that was enough time in high humidity to develop a URI.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not likely a URI. It could be burps or pulling food out of his beard if it's around meal time. He could also be going into a shed which causes them to flare their beards to loosen the skin. If he isn't acting lethargic and you don't see a thick mucous buildup around his nose and mouth then he is probably OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom