UVB lighting for new vivarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

Hey guys I recently converted an old tv cabinet into a vivarium. It's 63" long, 23" wide and 25" tall. I have a 150w Exoterra basking bulb on the hot side in a flunkers dimmable dome so I can control the output of the bulb and its working great i can keep his temps between 100 and 110 i usually leave it around 101 or 102. He has a ceramic heat emitter in the middle of the tank but been leaving it off during summer and his cool side stays around 79 degrees his temps are good. The dome on the left is no heat just a 5000k led bulb to brighten the viv.

he gets about 12 or 13 inches away from the bulb and I have a probe right under the light for accurate temp readings. 2 doors are glass to hold in heat and the middle door I removed the glass and installed bug screen for ventilation.

Hes about 14 to 15 inches from his uvb light at the highest point. Its a 48" reflected hood t5 ho and I have a reptisun 10.0 t5 but using my solarmeter 6.5r my uvi readings are about 4.0 in the basking area and get weak like 1.0 at the floor of the enclosure. Its kinda hard to build his basking higher cuz 100w or weaker basking bulbs dont heat the tank enough the 150w is perfect so I want to buy the Arcadia 14% uvb but is a 48" 14% T5 too long for my enclosure? He has a hide i made out of a tote from home depot its 15" deep and 23" wide 8.5" tall so he can escape light and heat completely but the rest of the tank is pretty much a 4x2x2 so should i get a shorter uvb fixture like a 3 foot or a 2 foot 14%? I know he needs to photo regulate and thermal regulate so would the arcadia 14% be okay in the 48" hood or should I buy a 36" or 24" and keep it mounted only over the basking area covering 1/2 the enclosure with the 36" or 1/3 of the tank with the 24" hood? I know this is alot to read but any help is appreciated!

100478-7207078533.jpg
100478-7653397829.jpg
100478-8837056309.jpg

Clinteastgood

I am about to purchase a 14% for my 4x2x2 aswell and decided to go with a 36 inch for that exact reason. he will have plenty of usable spectrum with that bulb at that height (lightyourreptiles lists its index at 6.0 @ 14 inches and still 3.4 at 22 inches.) which sounds perfect to me given dark places to hide.

JoeyC

Original Poster
Thank you Clinteastgood, ill buy the 36" than.
I was leaning towards that one over the 24".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom