MBD not getting better... Mount T5 inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Archie was given x-rays and diagnosed with MBD after I noticed swollen front limbs. At the time, his temps were about 107 in his basking spot and he was eating fine. He has been given a vitamin D shot every 2 weeks and I replaced his T5 Reptisun 10.0 just to be safe. However, he has only gotten worse. Not eating any greens at all and can hardly move his back legs. He's basically paralyzed. My vet is out for 2 weeks and I feel terrible for Archie's quality of life. His basking spot used to be in a tree closer to his light, now he only stays on the ground. Because of this, his temps are not warm enough. I'm going to buy a clamp lamp so I can position the light closer to him, but also wanted to look into mounting my T5 inside for more direct light. Is it possible that would help? He's much more active when he's outside and I'm running out of ideas. The t5 fixture I have is rather heavy, it's 36 inches and has a reflector on it. Any ideas would be appreciated. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear Archie is having such a hard time.
How close is the T5 to him now? Since you have a reflector, I wouldn't have it any closer than
10 inches, but you could definitely mount it underneath of the screen top for stronger UVB
exposure for him.
Did the vet give liquid calcium for him or just the vitamin D shot? Did he get worse after the
vitamin D shot or not? Sometimes too much D3 becomes toxic.

Tracie

LizzieBobby

I am struggling with Calcium too. My exotics vet said calcium injections are bad news for dragons, can induce heart problems. She said liquid calcium (specifically Zolcal D) but not injections. Anyone else been told the same?

itscaturday

Original Poster
Archie definitely started getting worse after the vitamin D shots... I think I'll stop going there. He is actually shedding right now, which he hasn't done in so long, so I guess that's good. I mounted the T5 inside and got one of those all in one mercury bulbs or whatever... Hope that isn't too much.

Also, going to try black solider fly larvae for calcium. I've read claims that they can help reverse MBD, but he really isn't eating much at all. Perhaps I am just expecting too drastic of a change too fast.

itscaturday

Original Poster
Just wanted to share my success with anyone else going through this! I did mount my t5 inside (although I am slightly worried, as I don't think it's always 10 inches away from him) and also purchased an "all in one heat lamp" which provides additional uvb. I have been taking him outside as much as possible and stopped the injections entirely, as I truly believe they nearly paralyzed him!! I have been feeding BSFL and have noticed SUCH A DIFFERENCE!! Not only can he walk, he can also climb, which I am so thankful for. It is definitely a process, but it is moving along. Here is the bulb I used incase anyone would like the link. Good luck to anyone going through this.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-powersun-uv-self-ballasted-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news he has improved so much! The T5 being used with the Powersun should be
just fine.
I agree, the shots were too much for him. I'm happy to hear he is a lot more active & can climb
better also now. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom