Need help doing what's best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspelenie

Hey I'm new to owning a BD, made a classic mistake of buying the kit from the petstore and I am rectifying my mistake and fixing my set up. Only issue is I also bought my dragon from petsmart and she seems sick. Wont eat much at all maybe 3-5 crickets a day if that. Semi solid poop (unsure if this is normal she has started to poop a little more solid) and I'm positive she has tail rot. I'm unsure of if I should take her back to the petstore because I dont wanna contribute to the reptile mills of the world but she is so docile and cuddly with me. I am attached already but fear it's too much for me to take on as a first time owner. She is only 5.5 inches and I'm unsure of her weight at the moment. Contemplating working through this with a vet or just taking her back and going through a reputable breeder. This is so heart wrenching please help

Peach

Hatchling Member
I can certainly relate to your post as I could have written it last month about our Chinese water dragon. The first week we attributed it to relocation stress but then he started to lose weight and became so lethargic he wasn't moving from wherever I placed him, so to the vet we went. We went over his setup in detail, no problems there. However, the fecal test revealed a really high infestation with parasites and blood in his poop. She was brutally honest in that, as she said, she didn't love what she was seeing. When I told her we'd only had him 2 weeks and where I got him, she wasn't surprised. She did tell me that she and several other exotic vets here have written to Petsmart's breeders numerous times regarding all the parasite-laden reptiles brought in by their customers and urging them to do something about the suppliers they are using. We gave the water dragon metrinidazole and carnivore care but he was just beyond saving.

I spoke to the manager immediately after the visit so he was aware of what was happening and gave him a copy of the vet's report. When the poor thing died, I informed them of that as well. They refunded what I paid for the dragon, paid the vet bill, and refunded tank and lights, etc. While I wasn't impressed with what that poor little dragon went through, Petsmart stepped up as they should and I'm glad.

My advice is to immediately have a long talk with store management. They have their 2 week guarantee. In our case, the water dragon died several days past the 2 weeks but they honored it anyway. It was a stressful situation here emotionally, especially having to force feed meds and supplements and watching him continue to decline, even though the vet's opinion was that he likely wouldn't make it.

So, my heart goes out to you. I know exactly what you're going through and wish you the best. Let us know how you're doing.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
You can try asking petsmart to pay your vet bill. They may have a contract with a vet they might send you to if you want to try to keep him. Keep in mind about the parasite issues as Peach posted about. You also have to worry about ADV as well. It could just be relocation stress also, which takes a couple of weeks. I think the best thing to do is talk with them about it first.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Just for future reference, I try to go with petco rather than petsmart if I am forced to go big box. Petco's guarantee includes that if your animal is ill within the first 2 weeks they pay any vet bills.

Aspelenie

Original Poster
Update!! Had my fiance call petsmart while I was at work and they asked us to bring her back so they could send her to the vet. We were uncomfortable with that because of their enclosures being crappy for them and they have agreed to let us take her to the vet and they will pay. Going to call the vet and schedule. I will update this post as we progress. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Aspelenie

Original Poster
Went to the vet yesterday, Charlie is doing good. She said to let her eat as much as she can and eventually she will eat more and more. She cut about an inch or so of her tail off thinks it was bitten by another baby before we got her. Gave us lots of good advice and I am pleased. Petsmart paid the visit with no issues and we are all good now. Thank you everyone!

Aspelenie

Original Poster
Final update! As of last night Charlie started eating better. I think she is not a fan of crickets because we fed her small dubias and she ate like 8 of them!! She is more active and doing a lot better.

Aspelenie

Original Poster
Not sure really. I think Charlie just hates crickets because she still wouldnt eat them, but as soon as she saw the dubias she went crazy. We added a few new spots in the enclosure for her like a mushroom ledge and a new log and she likes them a lot. I think it was mostly relocation stress. She still seems mad all the time (her spots are always dark on her belly) but that changes when we take her out of her enclosure lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom