New beardie not eating (worried beardie mom...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
CloudyCat":2qfs0pqu said:
Ok, I Know this is an old thread but, I highly recommend NOT letting your beardie near the cat (in the photo background) For the reasons Kingofnobbys Listed and also Your little beardie is on a loose substrate, Right? in the photo it looks like a loose substrate.

I Also would highly recommend against using a loose substrate. I Would switch to tile or paper towels. Here's a previous post of mine with reasons NOT to use particle substrates: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=243890&hilit=sand#p1857889

and How is the little beardie doing lately? :D

CloudyCat

Original Poster
HippieLizards":1x8omr3x said:
CloudyCat":1x8omr3x said:
Ok, I Know this is an old thread but, I highly recommend NOT letting your beardie near the cat (in the photo background) For the reasons Kingofnobbys Listed and also Your little beardie is on a loose substrate, Right? in the photo it looks like a loose substrate.

I Also would highly recommend against using a loose substrate. I Would switch to tile or paper towels. Here's a previous post of mine with reasons NOT to use particle substrates: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=243890&hilit=sand#p1857889

and How is the little beardie doing lately? :D

Hi there,
It wasn't a loose substrate, though it seems to look like one because I got so many questions about it :lol: . All my current reptiles are kept away from the cats, at the time I didn't know a whole lot better and tbh probably shouldn't have been owning a beardie…
Quinn ended up dying, as is followed up on a few other threads. I made the mistake of getting her from an unethical pet store, and over the last year have owned about eight reptiles and learned a lot more. I did not make that mistake again.
I've had amazing luck with my current kids! I currently only own three, as I rehomed a few, others were rescues who did not survive.
Anyways,
Thank you for asking and for your concern! :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Well that puts my mind at ease Lol. :) and We all make mistakes in our first month or so of having a beardie. and I'm so Sorry for your loss. :( He was a cute Little guy. :)

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
EllenD":3lt2r788 said:
AHBD":3lt2r788 said:
I agree that cats have a lot of bacteria in their saliva but just licking another animal or human will not cause death in almost any instance.

No, I agree, that isn't what I meant, what I meant is that all it takes to make a beardie sick from the bacteria in a cat's saliva is simply the cat licking it or even contacting it with their paws, which is true. Does it mean they will always get sick if that happens? No, but that is all it takes for it to happen, and in my experience from what I've seen here and on other forums, once that happens the beardie typically dies from the resulting infection.

All I'm trying to get across is that most people have no idea that simply coming in contact with cat saliva can result in them becoming very sick.
My mammal-brain makes me think that there wold have to be an open wound for the saliva to effect them. However, my reptile brain says that beardie's can absorb through their skin, so that would present a risk even without an open wound.

I am a teacher and am in a chem lab for my classroom. I do not ever bring my beardie to the school because I wouldn't want to have a beardie in a room with dangerous chemicals in the air.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, a beardie has scales that keep water out for the most part, but soaking them can let water soak in to the scales themselves. It is physically 100% impossible for a lick from a cat and MUCH less from a paw " touching " to cause an infection in a beardie unless it has an opening from a wound. Freak things can happen like the man who's pit bull licked him, causing a VERY rare infection [ almost unheard of ] which resulted in his legs being amputated. But we would not be concerned with an animal licking us unless we had a seriously compromised immune system or a cut, even then it generally would not affect us. [ although I never let an animal lick my face ] Here's the story of the poor man.....just a freak accident.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mans-legs-amputated-after-dog-licks-lead-to-infection-family-says/

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
UPDATE: He just pooped a bit nd 2 observations: 1. it smelled pretty bad, even for a beardie poop - definitely different than my last beardie. 2. It had A LOT of liquid/water with it, which isn't normal for a beardie, I will take the next poop to have a fecal done - I'm thinking that may be a sign of parasites?

Are there any particular parasites that can cause excess water in stool?

Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi SydneyG, can you post these replies about him in your E.R thread, this is someone else's old thread from last year. That will keep all your info together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom