Hurt beardie front arm and shaking uncontrollably

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my beardie last October, he is a juvenile. He had been fine since I got him until 2 days ago when he stopped eating and he started acting like his front right leg is hurt, he will not use it except when he gets scared and starts shaking seemingly uncontrollably, I think it might be shock from an injured limb, please help me know how to fix his arm.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Hi there, let's go over your setup
Size of enclosure?
Age of your beardie?
What type/brand/age uvb and how close can they get to it, any screen or lens obstructing it?
What are the temps and what do you use to take them with?
How often are you dusting feeders with calcium/vitamin?
If you can provide pics of enclosure and your beardie it would be helpful.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did he fall or have something fall on it recently? If so you may want a vet to take an x-ray to see what's going on. In the meantime I'd make everything like basking areas and food easily accessible so he doesn't have to work much to get to it. Can you post a video of the arm shaking? You can upload video to a host like vimeo or youtube and then post a link here.

CaptainFez

Original Poster
Size: it is a 20 galon tank and we are in the process of making one that is much larger.
Age: I'd say around 10 months but he's small for his age.
UVB: there is a screen between him and the light, his basking rock is about 8 inches away from the uvb.
Temps: it is usually around 100 degrees in the terrarium, and I use a thermostat.
Feeders: I have been giving him dusted superworms every day, but he isn't a very big eater.

He only shakes his hole body when I try to pick him up.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
That looks like MBD to me. Notice also the position of his arm. His bones are like rubber and he can't control his muscles well from lack of vit D3. What are you using for uvb? Coil or tube and what brand. 8" is not going to be enough with a screen so depending what you are using I can make a suggestion. Age of the bulb is also a factor. I would get him some liquid calcium and take him outside for real sunshine. He is too young for superworms and they really should be a treat more than a staple. You can try black soldier fly larvae, roaches or crickets. You should not use loose substrate. Papertowels, tiles or non-adhesive shelf liner works fine. You should be using a thermometer that has a digital with probe or a temp gun. Are you using the stick on thermometers because those are not accurate. The probe needs to be on the basking spot and should be 100-105 and the cool end 75-85. They need calcium and proper amounts of ultra violet light (from your uvb or real sun outside) in order for their body to process the vitamin D3 they need. He is suffering the way he is now but you can turn this around. Some things like his arm bent may be permanent but you can make him better and feel better. He also still has time to grow once these corrections are made.

This is what I would do:

Get some liquid calcium
Get the right insect foods, you can also offer turnip/dandelion or mustard "greens", shredded squash and carrots.
Get a proper UVB or mount it correctly. VERY important that we know what you have.
Take him outside for 30min+ daily for real sunshine.
Change the substrate
Make sure the basking spot is lower since he can't move onto higher spots.

Edit:
I should also ask, was this sudden because I supposed it could of been from injury also?

CaptainFez

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the help! I will look into the changes you suggested, thank you!

Yes it was sudden, I just noticed this morning.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
This is the stuff I would suggest but I think the most important right now is calcium and sunshine. A vet could get an xray and see if the bone is broken or all the bones are just weak so it's hard for me to say and I think it would be the best thing to do. Sometimes it seems sudden evn if it's MBD but it could also be injury and pain.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/
https://www.amazon.com/SunBlaster-NanoTech-T5-HO-Reflector/dp/B078Y8BFMJ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1532037194&sr=8-11&keywords=sunblaster+24
This should be placed so your beardie can get within 10" of it next to the basking spot.

https://www.amazon.com/Zacro-Aquarium-Thermometer-Terrarium-Temperature/dp/B01C6PE4G2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532037253&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=reptile+thermometer&psc=1

http://www.bug-de-lite.com/ccp8/Item/Liquid_Calcium

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, that is metabolic bone disease.
Please let us know which UVB you are using, they are not all created equal. We recommend
a T5 Reptisun 10 tube or a T5 Arcadia D3 12% either one for a great UVB exposure. As suggested,
if you can get him out for short periods of time that would be helpful, too.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with the others, it does look like MBD and should be addressed quickly. Keep everything easily accessible as I mentioned and please do upgrade to a good T5 UVB light and start administering liquid calcium along with calcium rich foods like collard greens and black soldier fly larvae to help strengthen his bones up.

CaptainFez

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the helping me with this, I will get a new bulb and liquid calcium and I will try to get him in the sun more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom