Too much food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm new to owning a beardie but I have a little experience from boarding them at my job. Everyone's feeding inatruction have been different and I'm a little confused with what exactly to do with mine. I reacued him on Tuesday. I read online youre supposed to do 80% greens and 20% live food. Hes 7 years old and looks pretty neglected from his previous owner. I can see hos ribs and what looks like maybe hip bones(?)at the base of his tail.. Ive thrown some carrots and other types of veggies in with him and within 15 minutes hes already eaten it all. So I threw about 5 crickets in there and he ate them right away too. Since he kept eating, I figured he was hungry so i gradually kept putting more crickets in until he stopped eating them.... Which was around 25 to 30 all together.
I don't know if thats the correct way to feed them or if I should be doing it different to put some weight on him. He looks terribly small for 7 years old. He is about the same size as my friends 7 month old female beardie... Can someone gove me some guidance? I feel like ive read a ton of information but I feel lost trying to help this guy out...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG

It's fine for him to eat live food every day for a while but only a few at a time. A hungry dragon may over-eat and then get sick, possibly vomiting. Always feed new , sickly dragons small amounts to see if they can handle it. See how he does tomorrow and no live food for at least a few days, or better yet not until he poos.

PimpDaddyPuff

Original Poster
AHBD":2pz7z6pi said:
Hi there, can you post pics ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG

It's fine for him to eat live food every day for a while but only a few at a time. A hungry dragon may over-eat and then get sick, possibly vomiting. Always feed new , sickly dragons small amounts to see if they can handle it. See how he does tomorrow and no live food for at least a few days, or better yet not until he poos.

I uploaded a few pictures. One has newspaper on the bottom but we got that green carpet like stuff the next morning. And the temp. was low because we had just set up his tank. You can kind of see his hips in that picture but the pictures arent doing his skinnyness justice. Hes pooped once and it looks solid. His belly plumped up a bit but he still looks skinny to me. Ill hold off until he poos again. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom