Beardie missing in home (UNUSUAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

I’ve had my girl Eckie for 6 years now and she’s an amazing little lady. I do let her run around the house a lot and try to give her as much time out the viv as possible (when it’s warm enough). Although sometimes she’d go ‘missing’ this was never a problem as I know all her go to spots and would quickly find her with in 10 minuets. However 3 days ago I came home from work and saw she wasn’t in her viv and immediately panicked as she’s never gotten out by her self before. I searched all her normal spots and she was no where, I have rearranged funtifure in every room, cleaned the whole house in an effort to find her with no luck.

I even took the panels off my bathtub to see if she’d managed to get under there as I know they love dark small places but even this proved hopeless! I’m really worried now as I know she has to be inside somewhere but I know the chances of me personally finding her are very slim as I’ve looked everywhere imaginable and even slightly reachable.

I’ve left out fruit and water dishes in some rooms in the hope she will come out but she takes little interest in food so I doubt the scent of fruit will lure her. Last night I even thought I could her what sounded like her scratching which propelled me to frantically search again where I thought the sound was coming from but there was no sign of her.

I know beardies can survive a long time when they’re in there sleepy ‘hiding’ state but the worry is killing me and I wondered if anyone had advice or can share the outcomes of similar expieriences you’ve had.

Is there a chance at all she will come out on her own accord?
Is there something obvious I could do to lure her out?
I want to keep looking but it feels really useless as I’ve literally checked everywhere over and over again!
Please help! Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Myk, yes this happens from time to time [ one not long ago here ] and they almost 99% all turn up just fine. Adults + even older juveniles can survive in good health for surprisingly long periods of time but they usually do turn up on their own or are found in a pile of clothes or under furniture . You can CAREFULLY look under chairs + couches, even look up in the " guts " of the furniture. But I'm sure your beardie will show up + all will be well. :)

Myk

Original Poster
Thank you! That’s put me at ease as I thought the fact she was older would give her less time not more! I really hope she does turn up on her own accord, I’m going to keep looking occasionally though

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
They do seem to find new spots to hide. The last time I lost Mystic, I thought I would never find him. Found him a few days later, when I was not looking. He had made it down to the basement into the laundry room. I think he wanted to be found. He has managed to get behind & under bookcases. The darker & colder spots they love. Here is Mystic a few years ago at Christmas, when I lost him again.
83443-6000121687.jpg

CliffsMom

Hey! Here are places I've lost beardies before (i'm not super irresponsible I swear - it's usually just for a minute or two - they dart over somewhere and I gotta yank 'em out).
  • Under the fridge (the grate in the front can come off)
    Under the stove (lift up the drawer and pull out gently)
    Underneath end tables/shelves/dressers (a lot of the time there's a gap under the bottom drawer or shelf they can get to from behind. My boy loves sleeping under my bedside table and sometimes puts himself as far under as he can so i have to pull it out the whole width of the table to see him)
    Inside a purse or backpack
    Inside a rolled up yoga mat
    Inside a hamper with clothes in it
    In the pantry
    Inside a winter boot
    On my boyfriend's model boat
    On top of a wicker basket
    Behind the computer
    On the internet router (it's very warm)
    Behind the toilet
Like yours mine have favourite places and I completely get the panic of checking them all six times and freaking out! When Clifford was 2, I opened the door in my grandparents room and made sure to lock the screen door. I let him chill there for a couple hours & when I got back he was gone. Turns out a few inches of screen had separated just a tiny bit from the frame at the bottom. I could never have seen it. Cliff went out onto the balcony and fell several feet onto the awning. Then he fell 20 feet from the awning onto the ground. We couldn't find him. In October. I was pretty sure he was dead. 3 DAYS LATER I woke up and he was sitting in the window well staring at me. Gave him a warm bath, he pooped half-digested grass, and he was totally fine. Not a scratch on him. So keep in mind, as my very Italian grandma said, "Animalis be animalis!"

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Did you find Eckie yet ? It’s amazing where they can hide, gotta get down to their level. I use my flashlight on my phone & check regular & new places. Mystic is relaxing in front of the fridge, he’s warming his belly & getting warm air. Please update. Send pictures.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
I have to leave mine in her enclosure when I'm not home. Kohaku had gotten out one day, gotten down to the carpet the first time, and then ended up in my left winter boot.

I gave her another chance and she got out, went to my bedroom, and hid inside the spare hide which had the cleaning brush I use for the enclosure propped up inside the opening.

Not all the areas in my condo are beardie friendly, so I haven't been able to leave the doors open to the exoterra large wide anymore when I'm gone.

She's almost a year old...I could leave her in my bathroom maybe if I got it cleaned up more, but I don't want to chance that either as I'd have to block one of the doors with a sterilite container.

I hope the OP finds their beardie soon. I was freaking out as much as her the two times Kohaku went missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom