Setups okay for hatchlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I have a few eggs from Venus's fourth clutch that may be hatching soon, so I set up two 20 gallon long tanks that I have (I have a third one that I'm gonna setup as well).
I just want to make sure the enclosures are suitable as this is the first time possibly dealing with hatchlings.

Each tank has a exo terra 75 watt basking bulb, and a 22" Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 bulb in a reflective fixture that sits on top of the screen.

In tank 1 the temps on the cool side is around 75-80, with the warm side being 85-95 and the basking spot ranges from 100-105.
In tank 2 the temps on the cool side is 80-85, with the warm side being 85-95 and the basking spots ranging from 100-110.
Night time temps never drop below 70 in both tanks.

One of the tanks does have one of those green mesh hammocks, but I'm going to be covering it up with some sort of material so they can't hurt themselves on it.
Tank 1.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Tank 2.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Also, any advice is very much welcomed. I'd hate to somehow mess up with these little guys.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks pretty good to me. Good UVB source and good temperature gradient. Way better than what a lot of the little guys live in at the stores (low bar, I know). Good idea to cover the mesh hammock. Might be even better to pick up a few fleece ones that you can throw in the washer if (when) they get soiled.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm glad everything checks out.
I might look into the fleece hammocks, that or get some of those seagrass hammocks that I have in my other beardies enclosures.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how many babies do you have ? You mentioned a few so I was wondering if you will have one baby per tank. The sticks/branches are great for climbing, so that's well done. :) I would strongly suggest getting rid of all the hiding areas, a timid dragon can spend more time hiding than basking + eating and can become stunted + sick very quickly. I raised lots of clutches, you want the babies to be bold + comfortable by being used to seeing the world around them. Also if you have more than one baby at a time [ my clutches were large + I usually had 6-10 babies per tank ] and one of the babies gets nipped or something it may hide all the time so you can't monitor how it's doing.

So just some climbing sticks, beardies love them and are not fearful, with hides they are far more likely to become fearful. Here's one of my old set ups :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29895/full

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm pretty sure theres 15 eggs left in the incubator out of the clutch of 33, at least 3-4 of them appear to be infertile but the rest have veins, and then from what I could see 3 of the fertile eggs have babies forming inside of them.
I'm hoping at least 3 hatch, but hopefully more.

I'll make sure to get rid of the hiding areas and then replace them with rocks and logs/branches.

I'll be moving my blue tongue skink from a 55 gallon to a 50 gallon soon so once I clean the 55 gallon out if needed I could also put some babies in there as well.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay, after lots of scrubbing and positioning of rocks I think for the most part it's good. Although I'm gonna mess around with it a bit to make sure it's perfect.

Tank 1.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Tank 2.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Tank 1 temperatures -
Cool side 75-80, warm side 85-90, basking spot 90-95.

Tank 2 temperatures -
Cool side 80-85, warm side 85-95, basking spot 100-120.

Definitely going to have to adjust some things, tank 2 may be fine since theres lower basking temperatures surrounding the high spot. Luckily I do have something I can use to move the basking light higher so its not so hot.

I'll probably have to upgrade tank 1's basking bulb to 100 watts to get it to the proper temps needed.
We'll see what happens after I get the third 20 gallon setup though since they'll be right next each other.

Also recounted the eggs, theres 12 not 15.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good, just set up the branches + the babies will climb all along them and watch for food like little hawks. 3-6 babies per tank will be fine.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Got the third tank setup. The rocks look so unstable but surprisingly they aren't.
image.jpg

Tank 1.
Cool side 75-80, warm side 85-90, 95-99.
Tank 2.
Tank 3.
Cool side is 75-80, warm side 85-90, basking spot 90-95.

I'm gonna add a log to Tank 3 once I get it cleaned up so they have more things to climb on.
Also gonna test out this other bulb I have and hope that it gets the temps up.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Tank 1.
Cool side 80-85, warm side 85-90, 100-107.
Tank 2.
Tank 3.
Cool side is 80-85, warm side 85-90, basking spot 100-115.

The higher wattage bulb really helped, I did have to lower the basking spot in tank 3 so it wasn't so high (I was getting readings as high as 140).
I'd say the temps are getting close to being perfect now.

EDIT- Kept the basking lamps running for a few hours to see if the temps would stay there and it went from being pretty good to extremely hot.
Tank 3's basking temp went from 100-115 to 120-140 and Tank 1's basking temps went from 100-107 up to 110-115.
Tomorrow I'm gonna try and find a bulb that isn't going to bake them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom