Dragon has a weird bump on snout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
100339-3967815274.jpg
100339-6841305145.jpg

Okay okay okay I have 2 pictures that I hope will upload.
Now for my question/concern.

My dragon has a weird, hard bump on the end of her snout(I guess??) on the lower lip. It sticks out enough I can put the tip of my finger on it and push her mouth open. She don’t like it aha. ( I included a picture with her mouth slightly open. Is it a normal colour from what you can tell? She worries me so! I’m a worry wart I think.)

Anyway the bump. It is solid, kinda like bone, but I don’t notice that it causes her much discomfort. I guess I’m wondering if it is harming her? Is it built up skin that just won’t fall off? Or Should I take her in and have the vet remove it? If that’s possible.

She loves to lay in her water bowl so I know she drinks. I don’t see her eat her greens often but it is always strewn about the tank so I think she eats. Hopefully. And I see her laying in different parts of the tank through the day so she isn’t just laying comatose.

It seems to be growing larger as time passes, and it’s starting to worry me. Maybe I’m a horrible owner and should have taken her in earlier, but it’s so darn expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas? What is it? Is it harmful? And should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!
-AWhisperLostUponWind

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It could be a few things. If she rubs her nose on glass or items in the tank often it could be skin buildup or irritation from that. If that's the case it should come loose in a shed eventually. It could be a growth/tumor of some sort in which case it should be addressed by a vet. It could be a bone deformation caused by lack of calcium or insufficient UVB light. What is her primary diet? What kind of UVB light are you using and how far is it above her basking area? If everything is OK with the lighting and diet, I'd probably have a vet take an x-ray and see if it is a bone deformation or not (and check the rest of her skeleton). If lighting is off, I would fix that first and see if it causes it to stop growing.

AWhisperLostUponWind

Original Poster
For her it was mostly kale and mealworms for treats. I know now that isn’t the best diet I should have given her. Definitely not varied enough. I sometimes have her dandelion greens, though they seemed to shrivel so fast. Oh and some pellets that expand when added to water. It is just bearded dragon food I got from pet value. She got the odd fruit here and there too, but I have recently started her on a new diet as she was eating less and less kale. Now she is getting arugula and she will get endive if I can find it anywhere. Some shaved carrot and bell pepper I read was okay too so I have some of that. And lentils I also read were fine so I might do some of that too.

Her heat light is 9 inches away from her basking area and so it the uvb bulb. It’s a 13 watt Exo Terra bulb. UVB 150. I will be replacing it tomorrow because last time we were at the vet they recommended I change the bulb every 6 months and I’m a little late on that.

Based on your thoughts it could be calcium deficiency. I have both liquid kind and the powder but I don’t think she gets enough when it is dusted into her food. I think I will make her an appointment and have her checked out. Just want the best for my girl.

Thanks for replying! (And reading my long post if you did haha.)

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I would get either a reptisun 10.0 T5 HO or an arcadia 12% uvb tube. They are much better and stronger and only need to be replaced yearly. You will need to buy a fixture with reflector for it though. I do not suggest keeping that same kind of bulb you are currently using.
You can feed her crickets, roaches, phoenix worms for protein. Here is a good list of foods for reference.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I don't know for sure what is causing the bump but I wouldn't do anything drastic unless it's causing her discomfort or affects her feeding. It's always a good idea if you can get to a good vet.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Does it feel hard or soft ?

If hard - it could be a boney growth or several old sheds on top of each other.
If soft - it may be due to an abscess or a bad tooth or ??

I think if it's growing (fast) you're better off having a good reptile vet take a close look and maybe take an xray to work out what is going on.
I think an xray and small needle aspiration of it's contents (if it's full of puss or some other fluid) will tell the vet what you are dealing with.

Only a small area of the lower jaw and mouth seem involved NOW, I wouldn't let it get bigger, even if it isn't impeding her feeding or bothering her, will be simple and cheaper to deal with it by either draining it and debriding the chin now than waiting til it's become a serious issue which also means the costs to deal with it will become exponentially more expensive and remedies / treatment longer and more costly and complex.

AWhisperLostUponWind

Original Poster
Okay I will see if I can find those other bulbs. Might be making a special trip into the city here.

As for the growth, it is hard. She doesn’t seem to mind it though. She used to put her face against the glass and rub on it like she wanted out but she hasn’t done that since she pretty much grew into and adult. Put her feet on it too kind of scratching like.

Just to be on the safe side I think I will take her in. At least have them look, even if they don’t touch it. As long as she is healthy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I probably would take her in just to get that looked at. It could be due to metabolic bone
disease or a cyst as suggested. An x-ray could help determine that, or they could try to
aspirate any fluids out of that area if possible. Since it's hard, it might be tricky.
Ordering the tube UVB online would be best & most likely less expensive, too.
I hope she is doing well. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom