yellow fungus?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

yellow fungus?

Postby ellethebeardie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:07 pm

hubs and I are new bearded dragon lovers... we just brought Elliot (or Elle, if he is a she :D ) home from a small reptile store in our town. On Sat he will have been with us for two weeks. He eats well and is active and I can't believe how in love I already am with the little guy. Anyway... today during bath time I noticed he has an orange/yellow spot on his neck.. in the folds, you can only see it if he extends his head to look up... my stomach is in knots! I feel terrible, I'm posting a pic, its not good quality, sorry, hard to hold him and get a good photo... anyway... He just started shedding his face and I can tell his body is getting ready to shed bc it is all grey looking.. but... Is this yellow fungus? Is there anything I can do to help it? I read something about putting antifungal cream on it, is that a good route to go?
I am so upset over this. :banghead:
ellethebeardie
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: yellow fungus?

Postby kyleena29 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:55 am

Is there any way you can get a closer pic? Sometimes they just have some natural coloring. Is the area crusty or just a coloring? What substrate are you using?
kyleena29
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby ellethebeardie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:54 am

kyleena29 wrote:Is there any way you can get a closer pic? Sometimes they just have some natural coloring. Is the area crusty or just a coloring? What substrate are you using?

I will try to get a better pic when I get home from work. We use reptile carpet for the substrate, area is not crusty, just a coloring to it. Darkest in the center and lighter as it goes out. In the center it is dark orangey colored.
ellethebeardie
Newbie Poster

Postby ellethebeardie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:54 am

here is a better image...
ellethebeardie
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Has he eaten anything that color ? It could be a food stain or could be shed as you suspected but to be on the safe side you can get some Monistat anti fungal cream to apply to it. Right now it's too soon to tell unless it would come off with a warm [ shallow 5 minute + supervised ] soak for a day or two .
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby ellethebeardie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:00 pm

AHBD wrote:Has he eaten anything that color ? It could be a food stain or could be shed as you suspected but to be on the safe side you can get some Monistat anti fungal cream to apply to it. Right now it's too soon to tell unless it would come off with a warm [ shallow 5 minute + supervised ] soak for a day or two .

He eats carrots and kale ... so I did wonder about the carrots... I will monitor it and get some Monistat.. thanks.
ellethebeardie
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Drache613 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Hello,

You can definitely get some monistat to be proactive. It is probably going to be natural coloring
or possibly some food. As suggested try bathing him & using a very small & soft toothbrush, or a
q-tip/swab to see if it rubs off.
He is a little cutie. :D

Tracie
Drache613

Postby ellethebeardie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:47 am

I just put him in a bath and used a qtip to gently rub the area and it came off!! I’m thinking this is a good sign?

Thanks for the tips everyone.
I have been so stressed about this. I love my little babe...
ellethebeardie
Newbie Poster

Postby ellethebeardie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 am

And now there is like an explosion of shedding happening in his viv, skin everywhere... and his neck underneath is totally clear of the yellow... I am so relieved. Also, he just ate a piece of his shed skin, is that okay?? Lol
ellethebeardie
Newbie Poster

Postby kyleena29 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 am

Some of them will eat their own shedding and it's perfectly fine. I think it has some calcium in it.
kyleena29
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby ellethebeardie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:28 am

kyleena29 wrote:Some of them will eat their own shedding and it's perfectly fine. I think it has some calcium in it.

Thank you!
He is really entertaining us right now running all over his viv rubbing himself all over everything. It must be incredibly uncomfortable.
ellethebeardie
Newbie Poster

Postby kyleena29 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:53 am

you can mist him with a spray bottle of water to help it along.
kyleena29
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health