New Beardie symptoms or trip to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nlew423

Just got my Beardie last weekend. Had it just over a week now. He ate crickets the first night and then we had a really hard time getting him to eat again throughout the week. He would eat 2 or 3 crickets and collard greens and wouldn’t eat much more than that. Thursday we were able to get him to eat 7 small Dubia roaches, which he ate again Friday and yesterday but still not to the extent a baby should be eating. He ate about 5 Phoenix works today and 3 small Dubia roaches. He is about 6 inches long. He’s gotten a bath today to ensure he isn’t dehydrated. His temps are 80 on the cool side and about 110-115 in the basking area. He just finished shedding yesterday but today I saw runny poop and got worried that the above is more than just relocation stress. The rest of his poop has been fine, solid with white urates. This one though had the white urates and then a water brown poop that doesn’t really smell bad come out. Is this a trip to the vet or just still relocation stress??

Arawood

Hatchling Member
Hi, I'm no expert, but it sounds like it could be relocation stress mixed with a bit of stress from shedding. Sometimes beardies won't eat as much as usual while shedding. As for the runny poop, did it look strange in any way? If it just seems extra watery it could just mean that he is well hydrated. Keep an eye on it and see if it continues for a few days. As long as your beardie is eating and active you shouldn't worry too much.

Nlew423

Original Poster
Arawood":6gfaombb said:
Hi, I'm no expert, but it sounds like it could be relocation stress mixed with a bit of stress from shedding. Sometimes beardies won't eat as much as usual while shedding. As for the runny poop, did it look strange in any way? If it just seems extra watery it could just mean that he is well hydrated. Keep an eye on it and see if it continues for a few days. As long as your beardie is eating and active you shouldn't worry too much.

It almost looked like urates only (normal white) and then just water very slightly tinted brown no actual poop from what I could see. He pooped earlier so you could be right. It could just be excess water. I hate the relocation stress. It’s stressing me out worrying about him since he isn’t eating as much as babies are supposed to, yet he is fairly active. It’s only been a week so I’m hoping that’s all it is.

Arawood

Hatchling Member
I wouldn't worry too much about the poop if everything else is ok. As for the eating, how many times a day are you feeding him? You could try to space the feedings out a bit more to give him some more time to digest and try feeding right after he's made some room (pooped).

Nlew423

Original Poster
Arawood":ziyxu748 said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the poop if everything else is ok. As for the eating, how many times a day are you feeding him? You could try to space the feedings out a bit more to give him some more time to digest and try feeding right after he's made some room (pooped).
I’ve tried, on the weekend, feeding him 3 times a day example 7 am, noon and 3pm. He has only been eating at one of those times, and maybe one Dubia at a second. I leave the greens and fruit out in the morning and take it out at night.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I would give him at least another week to adjust. They need a couple of weeks. If he still isn't eating normal then I would get a fecal to the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom