yellow fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hubs and I are new bearded dragon lovers... we just brought Elliot (or Elle, if he is a she :D ) home from a small reptile store in our town. On Sat he will have been with us for two weeks. He eats well and is active and I can't believe how in love I already am with the little guy. Anyway... today during bath time I noticed he has an orange/yellow spot on his neck.. in the folds, you can only see it if he extends his head to look up... my stomach is in knots! I feel terrible, I'm posting a pic, its not good quality, sorry, hard to hold him and get a good photo... anyway... He just started shedding his face and I can tell his body is getting ready to shed bc it is all grey looking.. but... Is this yellow fungus? Is there anything I can do to help it? I read something about putting antifungal cream on it, is that a good route to go?
I am so upset over this. :banghead:
100340-5138811604_small.jpg

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Is there any way you can get a closer pic? Sometimes they just have some natural coloring. Is the area crusty or just a coloring? What substrate are you using?

ellethebeardie

Original Poster
kyleena29":2bwua725 said:
Is there any way you can get a closer pic? Sometimes they just have some natural coloring. Is the area crusty or just a coloring? What substrate are you using?
I will try to get a better pic when I get home from work. We use reptile carpet for the substrate, area is not crusty, just a coloring to it. Darkest in the center and lighter as it goes out. In the center it is dark orangey colored.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Has he eaten anything that color ? It could be a food stain or could be shed as you suspected but to be on the safe side you can get some Monistat anti fungal cream to apply to it. Right now it's too soon to tell unless it would come off with a warm [ shallow 5 minute + supervised ] soak for a day or two .

ellethebeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":1wbueagj said:
Has he eaten anything that color ? It could be a food stain or could be shed as you suspected but to be on the safe side you can get some Monistat anti fungal cream to apply to it. Right now it's too soon to tell unless it would come off with a warm [ shallow 5 minute + supervised ] soak for a day or two .
He eats carrots and kale ... so I did wonder about the carrots... I will monitor it and get some Monistat.. thanks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can definitely get some monistat to be proactive. It is probably going to be natural coloring
or possibly some food. As suggested try bathing him & using a very small & soft toothbrush, or a
q-tip/swab to see if it rubs off.
He is a little cutie. :D

Tracie

ellethebeardie

Original Poster
I just put him in a bath and used a qtip to gently rub the area and it came off!! I’m thinking this is a good sign?

Thanks for the tips everyone.
I have been so stressed about this. I love my little babe...

ellethebeardie

Original Poster
And now there is like an explosion of shedding happening in his viv, skin everywhere... and his neck underneath is totally clear of the yellow... I am so relieved. Also, he just ate a piece of his shed skin, is that okay?? Lol

ellethebeardie

Original Poster
kyleena29":17g1t5ao said:
Some of them will eat their own shedding and it's perfectly fine. I think it has some calcium in it.
Thank you!
He is really entertaining us right now running all over his viv rubbing himself all over everything. It must be incredibly uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom