HELP!!!!! I need a UVB fixture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustusu

Recently Spike has entered a dormant, not-eating, lazy phase. Could be brumation but the UVB light is too small for the 50 gallon tank he is in. I just bought a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB 18" tube light. I figured I could just go online and order a fixture for 20 bucks but it turns out they are 50+ dollars! I am not an adult and I can't afford that. Does any one have any cheaper ideas for mounting Spike's UVB light? If so, please include a link. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million, guys.

augustusu

Original Poster
Arawood":ox6taav5 said:
https://m.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19690606

This is the fixture I have, it's $16 from ace hardware, you can have it shipped to you or pick up from the store for free assuming they have it in stock, and I used command hooks (for 5 lbs) to mount it to the back wall of the tank. Those were only a couple bucks at Walmart.

Thanks so much. Does size matter on the comand hooks? :)

Arawood

Hatchling Member
As long as you get the ones that hold at least up to 5 lbs you should be fine. I use the ones specifically made for hanging picture frames but I'm sure the regular ones will work just fine too! :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Arawood":11sr9bn2 said:

This is the fixture I have, it's $16 from ace hardware, you can have it shipped to you or pick up from the store for free assuming they have it in stock, and I used command hooks (for 5 lbs) to mount it to the back wall of the tank. Those were only a couple bucks at Walmart.

Can you return it and exchange for a T5HO fixture , then return the T8 10.0UVB tube to exchange with a 12%UVB T5HO Arcadia tube.

The issue is you have no reflector behind the T8 tube , and a T8 10%UVB tube is VERY WEAK .
See this viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

a 10%UVB T8 tube will have to be closer than 3 inches from the basking spot without a reflector to provide enough UVA and UVB to keep your dragon healthy.
Add a reflector behind the T8 tube and this distance doubles.
Irrespective …. a T8 tube is not a very good choice no matter how powerful it is.

augustusu

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1e6asi75 said:
Arawood":1e6asi75 said:

Can you return it and exchange for a T5HO fixture , then return the T8 10.0UVB tube to exchange with a 12%UVB T5HO Arcadia tube.

The issue is you have no reflector behind the T8 tube , and a T8 10%UVB tube is VERY WEAK .

I would have already done that but I can't afford that... :?

a 10%UVB T8 tube will have to be closer than 3 inches from the basking spot without a reflector to provide enough UVA and UVB to keep your dragon healthy.
Irrespective …. a T8 tube is not a very good choice no matter how powerful it is.

augustusu

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":ky7mlkp7 said:
Arawood":ky7mlkp7 said:

any cheaper ideas??

[/quote]any cheaper ideas??[/quote]

If you still have the box the lighting fixture came in you can cut it up to make your own reflector. All you will need is metal on metal duct tape, the packaging, and box cutters or scissors. google for how to instructions/videos.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sorry …. if you can't afford a good reflector hood , what makes you think you can afford to keep a pet bearded dragon (even if it's already an adult) .

I think you need give very serious consideration to the aspects of setup costs , and ongoing costs (feeder insects in bulk EVERY WEEK, suppliments, 6 monthly replacement of UV source), and a contingency account (savings) to cover vet bills (I suggest at least $300 set aside) BEFORE bringing home a bearded dragon.

augustusu

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":k17tqz9f said:
Sorry …. if you can't afford a good reflector hood , what makes you think you can afford to keep a pet bearded dragon (even if it's already an adult) .

I think you need give very serious consideration to the aspects of setup costs , and ongoing costs (feeder insects in bulk EVERY WEEK, suppliments, 6 monthly replacement of UV source), and a contingency account (savings) to cover vet bills (I suggest at least $300 set aside) BEFORE bringing home a bearded dragon.

Alright. I bought a new fixture. Thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom