Basking bulb and night time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am a noob at bearded dragons. I know alot but I want to make sure I give her everything. I bout the zoomed kit 40 gallons and it came with the lights that I believe the basking is 100w. The thermometer that came with it says that area is 90-100. But When I touch the basking rock its under its just like warm to me not hot. I tried moving it up so Im going to measure and see if its the 8 inches away from the lamp instead of more inches like it was. I didnt know if I should get another lamp or is that one good? Also I turned off the lights for the first time last night and my apartment is always at 70 which I read was fine with beardies. But it scared the crap out of me when I went to check on her and she had her eyes kind of droopy and wasnt moving when i initially touched her. When i picked her up and put her on her rock she moved alot more. Was she just sleeping before? Or was too cold? Her color hasnt changed and she is shedding so I dont know if that caused anything. Okay Im done thanks for reading all of this if you do lol .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
For starters - I advise all noobs "don't buy the 40G kit" - most the stuff in these is inadequate or downright dangerous to a beardie's health.

The sand - don't use it - is a serious impaction hazard.
The 13W compact UV globe - worthless , upgrade to a 26W UVB200 MINIMUM
The dome for the UV globe - less than adequate , upgrade to an EXO TERRA NANO HOOD ==> mounts the 26W UVB200 horizontally.
Mesh lid - hopeless , don't mount the UV light on top (will block 45% of the UV) , not secure, will not allow heat to stay in the tank (hot air rises), not cat proof.
The analog dial style thermometers - anyone's guess what the actual temperature temperature is , very inaccurate.

If she feels cold to the touch and is dark coloured all over and lethargic /sleepy ==> she's too cold.

I don't let the temperature in my hatchling/juvenile rearing tubs go under 24 degC even at night.
I use digital thermometers like these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-LCD-Digital-Thermometer-for-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-FISH-TANK-Temperature/301366689152?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52946%26meid%3D6d3cf63d88be41f6a34a7f51ec2c809c%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D391259141696%26itm%3D301366689152&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850 in all my skinks and beardie tanks and tubs.
They are very accurate ( +/- 1 degC ) and their batteries last for 2 or 3 years (I only use one battery in each , though they also run on two batteries) ., I have 3 thermometers in each tank/tub (basking spot, warm zone and cool zone ,and another connected to the switching thermostat that controls my 7W heatpads ,so I can see my at all times at a glance and know they are accurate.

Guide for setting UV and basking lights is here : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Wolfieselm

Original Poster
Im not using the sand at all. I know what that does and I am going to upgrade her lights eventually I just need more money. Im actually going to redo this whole tank to bioactive. I was just making sure If there was something else I could do in the meantime till I get the money to make it better. What thermometer would you reccommend for the habitat?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Wolfieselm":3pdnwsq2 said:
Im not using the sand at all. I know what that does and I am going to upgrade her lights eventually I just need more money. Im actually going to redo this whole tank to bioactive. I was just making sure If there was something else I could do in the meantime till I get the money to make it better. What thermometer would you reccommend for the habitat?

Bioactive is trendy , looks nice and is OK some reptiles …. ie Bluetongues and other skinks , anoles, geckos …. but not a GOOD idea for a arid zone reptile like a bearded dragon , for more information on their natural habitat see this - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=244236

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom