Rescued 1.5yo beardie seriously ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, good on you for helping this poor dragon. Very important now to put the Manuka or raw unpasteurized honey on the leg that is raw where the black skin fell off. Betadine did it's job but now you need the honey to heal it, the betdine will destroy good tissue so that needs to get stopped and honey can be put on there now. No bathing it, that will keep it too moist + promote bacteria growth. The honey is a very strong antimicrobial and should do the job.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
You can definately give him protein just nothing hard to digest some chicken or turkey baby food you can also try repta boost or jumpstart or you can make your own shake with the reptaboost or jumpstart you dont need to add any calcium or d3 and this is just for short till he gets well again is not too much volume but it packs lot of calories with the jumpstart you can add baby food and pedyalite for hydration.

ResQ

Original Poster
5 day update
Little guy hasn’t changed much. He seems comfortable. Very mobile. He’s eaten 5 super worms in two days. And that’s more than I’ve ever seen him eat. I’m not giving him grub pie anymore. Just his calcium and water mixture (2ml). Any more than 2ml and he throws up* so I’ll keep him on 2ml for another week and then try 2.5ml. I know that isn’t nearly enough in his stomach a day but something is better than nothing.
*when he throws up the water and calcium it’s a saliva consistency.
As for the baths he loves them. So I’ll keep the baths up to add extra hydration through his scales. Legs looking good, less raw. Tail looks like it’s healing over quickly too.

I’ll try again with more feeders tomorrow. I offer him greens and feeders every day but take them out after an hour or two. I’ll try a greens slurry tomorrow and maybe he will hold that down. I’ll try the honey on his leg tomorrow as well. He was very irritated after he threw up his liquids and I just wanted to leave him alone for a while.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like he is slowly making some progress. The raw honey will help out the wounds on
the leg so be sure & keep it as clean as possible.
Poor thing, his system just isn't used to food very well.. Just go very slowly as you are doing
keeping him hydrated & hopefully he will start eating more soon.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ResQ":84m3vray said:
5 day update
Little guy hasn’t changed much. He seems comfortable. Very mobile. He’s eaten 5 super worms in two days. And that’s more than I’ve ever seen him eat. I’m not giving him grub pie anymore.
<<< I'd continue giving him GrubPie (Repashi version) , it's rich in calcium and protein and should help build him up.
Just his calcium and water mixture (2ml). Any more than 2ml and he throws up* so I’ll keep him on 2ml for another week and then try 2.5ml. I know that isn’t nearly enough in his stomach a day but something is better than nothing.
<<< better off doing two or three smaller doses of liquid calcium each day …. what brand are you using ?
*when he throws up the water and calcium it’s a saliva consistency.
As for the baths he loves them. So I’ll keep the baths up to add extra hydration through his scales. Legs looking good, less raw. Tail looks like it’s healing over quickly too.

<<<< that's "an old wive's tail" …. dragons do not hydrate through their skink or vent , the only way a bath hydrates a dragon is via it's mouth (it has to drink some the water).
If he's enjoying the baths , it's fine to endulge him …. my Peppa loves her bath too ….
9jul2017_peppa_in_bath.png

I’ll try again with more feeders tomorrow. I offer him greens and feeders every day but take them out after an hour or two. I’ll try a greens slurry tomorrow and maybe he will hold that down. I’ll try the honey on his leg tomorrow as well. He was very irritated after he threw up his liquids and I just wanted to leave him alone for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom