Honey for Eye Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arawood

Hatchling Member
Hi guys, Reptar seems to have gotten injured during feeding time today. He was eating some superworms and my guess is that when he bit into one, the worm didn't like that very much and bit the area around his eye. It didn't look like anything at the time but about an hour later I noticed he had a layer of goo on his eye which I wiped off and some little red marks around his eye. It doesn't look like there's any damage to the eye itself but I did a little research and just purchased some unfiltered honey and diluted it with water. I will be applying that to his eye in a moment but I was wondering if there is anything else I should do? It doesn't look too bad but it seems to be bothering him a bit as he's not opening his eye completely. And of course I'm a worried mom so I want to do all I can to help him. I would greatly appreciate any help, thanks :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that is too bad he got bit by a superworm, unfortunately that happens sometimes. It is a
common incident. The raw unfiltered/unpasteurized honey will definitely help out. You could
get some sterile saline solution to flush it out daily also if needed. Other than that, there isn't
a whole lot more you can do except for just keeping it clean & treat it daily. It should heal up
just fine though.
If it is hurting him or swollen some, you can also try getting a bag of chamomile tea, warmed &
moistened to place on his eye at bedtime for a few minutes. It has healing properties in the tea.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I found 1 part Activon (medihoney) mixed with 1 part boiled then cooled water wasn't too sticky and ran OK.

I used a 14G drawing up needle (vape stores carry these blunt needles) to draw about 0.3ml of manuka honey from the tube into a 1ml disposable syringe , then draw an equal volume of water , remove the needle , pulled the plunger back as far as it goes and shook the mix to get the honey to dissolve.
A couple drops per sore eye , a few times per day , worked wonders for Fluffy's eye infection when she was first rescued and critically ill.

I kept the made up mix in the syringe in zip lock bag in the door of the fridge between uses.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with the aw honey treatment, used it back for a hatchling who was scratched in the incubator by another baby during the hatching process. The eye was grossly swollen and had a dab of pus as well but the raw honey [ does not have to be Manuka, mine wasn't ] did the trick within days. Another dragon scratched his eyelid and shook his head so hard trying to relieve the itch that he kept reopening the little wound + got blood spattered in his tank. A few days with honey and a pirate patch made of gauze + tape and it healed up perfectly.

Arawood

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses! I'm quite impressed with how this honey is working actually. His eye doesn't seem to be bothering him today! It's not swollen either which is great. At this rate it'll be healed up in no time :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad to hear it, honey is the go-to for any wound. If you read up on it it is even used in a children's cancer clinic in Bonne Germany to treat wounds that don't heal by other methods. It can be used for small or large wounds.

Arawood

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'll keep that in mind if anything like this happens to him again. But fingers crossed this is his first and last injury :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom