Is there an alternate substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi y’all!

Because Autumn turned one this year, we bought a larger enclosure for her. I’m redoing my room to fit a desert theme, and I want to decorate Autumn’s tank to match. I don’t want to put sand or calcium sand in because it’s too dangerous. Do y’all know of an alternate substrate that looks great with the desert theme? Would clay work? (NOT potter’s clay, btw)

Thanks!

SGS

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AutumnTheBeardie":2qiajz5m said:
Hi y’all!

Because Autumn turned one this year, we bought a larger enclosure for her. I’m redoing my room to fit a desert theme, and I want to decorate Autumn’s tank to match. I don’t want to put sand or calcium sand in because it’s too dangerous. Do y’all know of an alternate substrate that looks great with the desert theme? Would clay work? (NOT potter’s clay, btw)

Thanks!

SGS

This is typical of flat landscape that is found in the natural habitat of bearded dragons :
typical_habitat_of_bearded_dragons_in_dry_sevannah_grasslands_on.png

The grass is a tough arid resistant grass called spinifex , the soils are highly weathered clay, often rich in iron but poor in organic content.
There are also drought tolerant trees , mainly acacia and mallee

You might get a good look using sandstone boulders (I'm sure you can find these at any garden centre as lots of people buy these to add borders around flower beds and to landscape, like some of these https://anlscape.com.au/Products/sandstone-stone-rocks/sandstone-2/sandstone-flagging
and https://anlscape.com.au/Products/sandstone-stone-rocks/bush-rock/flat-bush-rock.
As to material to go under these and around them - that's tougher - maybe clay mixed mixed red ochre , mix with water and mold to shape and let air dry …. must be completely air dried (not baked) this will be close to the soil centrals encounter in their natural range.
This is what you SHOULD be trying to reproduce to have the enclosure as authentic as possible.
http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/jspui/bitstream/10070/297838/1/Report_Soil_Land_Suitability_Assessment_Orange_Creek.pdf
scroll to page p50 and you'll see several examples of the natural habitat in the natural range of central bearded dragons.
Sumarised here
soils.png

Red stained tilers grout between the boulders and slabs is probably the best bet....lay it fill gaps (to stop bugs from hiding) and let it set and harden , very durable and impervious.

AutumnTheBeardie

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":11s0a3ie said:
AutumnTheBeardie":11s0a3ie said:
Hi y’all!

Thanks!

SGS

This is typical of flat landscape that is found in the natural habitat of bearded dragons :
typical_habitat_of_bearded_dragons_in_dry_sevannah_grasslands_on.png

The grass is a tough arid resistant grass called spinifex , the soils are highly weathered clay, often rich in iron but poor in organic content.
There are also drought tolerant trees , mainly acacia and mallee

You might get a good look using sandstone boulders (I'm sure you can find these at any garden centre as lots of people buy these to add borders around flower beds and to landscape, like some of these https://anlscape.com.au/Products/sandstone-stone-rocks/sandstone-2/sandstone-flagging
and https://anlscape.com.au/Products/sandstone-stone-rocks/bush-rock/flat-bush-rock.
As to material to go under these and around them - that's tougher - maybe clay mixed mixed red ochre , mix with water and mold to shape and let air dry …. must be completely air dried (not baked) this will be close to the soil centrals encounter in their natural range.
This is what you SHOULD be trying to reproduce to have the enclosure as authentic as possible.
http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/jspui/bitstream/10070/297838/1/Report_Soil_Land_Suitability_Assessment_Orange_Creek.pdf
scroll to page p50 and you'll see several examples of the natural habitat in the natural range of central bearded dragons.
Sumarised here
soils.png

Red stained tilers grout between the boulders and slabs is probably the best bet....lay it fill gaps (to stop bugs from hiding) and let it set and harden , very durable and impervious.

Thanks so much!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I Would Use Slate tile, Peel and stick tile, Non adhesive shelf liner, or even linoleum. Sure it isn't Natural but it is safe and that is what IMO is the most important priority is to keep your dragon healthy on a healthy substrate. :D

-HippieLizards.

AutumnTheBeardie

Original Poster
HippieLizards":qbaw93m0 said:
Hello,

I Would Use Slate tile, Peel and stick tile, Non adhesive shelf liner, or even linoleum. Sure it isn't Natural but it is safe and that is what IMO is the most important priority is to keep your dragon healthy on a healthy substrate. :D

-HippieLizards.

Safe is definitely the top priority! Thanks, I am considering using some tile....I’ll check out the others.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AutumnTheBeardie":2idjrhok said:
HippieLizards":2idjrhok said:
Hello,

-HippieLizards.

Safe is definitely the top priority! Thanks, I am considering using some tile....I’ll check out the others.

Tile is super easy , simply drop the tiles in butting against each other , no glue under them , no grout between them . If a tile needs cleaning lift it and take it outside to get a blast from the garden hose.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Yup. I Also blast them with vinegar if they start to get stinky.. I Also use a half and half vinegar/water solution to clean the tanks, It's safe for the beardies (from what my research has told me), and It helps battle stench.

AutumnTheBeardie

Original Poster
Okay y’all, I decided on some nice, desert-y tile. I still have to cut it to fit, but I’m happy with my purchase. I also bought a few desert plants to put in there too. I will post a picture of the full set up when I’m done cutting and decorating.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Sweet! :D I Hope the tank turns out well! :blob5:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AutumnTheBeardie":2bo5on7y said:
Okay y’all, I decided on some nice, desert-y tile. I still have to cut it to fit, but I’m happy with my purchase. I also bought a few desert plants to put in there too. I will post a picture of the full set up when I’m done cutting and decorating.

Careful with live plants …. many desert plants (cacti) are poisonous and have dangerous (to beardie's eyes) spikes.

Only plants I'd trust would be desert grasses.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The desert tile works well. I've used that for years now. It looks nice and it's very easy to clean/sanitize.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
CooperDragon":10qa3mhv said:
The desert tile works well. I've used that for years now. It looks nice and it's very easy to clean/sanitize.
I Agree. Tile is 500% better than any type of loose substrate when it comes to cleanliness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom