Rules in NSW are about to change .

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How are low, moderate, and high risk activities defined? Is it subjective? The reptile keeping guide sounds good and well intentioned but fairly general (understandably). How are these regulations enforced? Do they have inspections of peoples houses or is it directed more at vendors/breeders? Please do chime in and provide them with as much helpful info as you can. It sounds like they are on the right track and it is well intentioned in terms of reptile and native species protection.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I definitely hope that it will all be fair for everyone & not to the point to where no one can
keep any reptiles at all. Good luck.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
My comments

Should licensing for reptile handlers * be retained? YES
How can licence eligibility criteria and licence conditions be improved to ensure licensed handlers have the competency and knowledge to safely catch and relocate reptiles?
Make it necessary for new handlers to do internships with experienced handlers and then pass a competency and knowledge test before they are granted a PROVISONAL LICENCE.
3 years on a PROVISIONAL LICENCE before they qualify for a Professional Licence.

* this applies to snake catchers , crocodile catchers , and large monitor catchers .

Do you support the proposed staged approach to implementing a risk-based approach to regulating native animal keeping? yes
can you suggest any changes to the draft revised NSW Animal Keepers’ Species List to ensure specific species are subject to the appropriate level of regulation? no
Do you have any suggestions for improving the animal welfare and record keeping requirements in the draft codes of practice? bring back the printed log books for all who request them.
Reporting only to be required when there are changes.
Do you support a risk-based approach to annual records for licensed keepers including simplified returns for Class 1 and advanced keepers, but retention of current animal record book
requirements for keepers of venomous snakes?
no comment - not of interest.

Do you support the retention of licensing for pet shops that sell native animals and expanding the list of species they may sell? yes , the list species these commercial operations can stock should be made EVEN MORE RESTRICTED .
I think licenses for these need to be made very much more stringent and expensive and harder to get and hold onto. I do not support pet shops selling live native animals at all
- especially not reptiles and amphibians.
Can you suggest any changes or improvements to the licence conditions for licensed dealers and expos? see above , random spot checks made by experienced keepers working with parks & wildlife zoologists / herpetologists , these need to happen at least once a year and no prior notice given .
Heavy fines and immediate confiscation of live stock if a shop fails the spot check.
Should licensing also be required for persons undertaking the business of selling native animals over the internet or from their homes? I think the current system works OK for hobbyiest breeders and those who decide to move on unwanted live specimens / pets.
If so, what criteria should be applied to identify where online and home-based breeding and dealing is undertaken as a business, rather than incidental to keeping native animals as a hobby? I think keeping more than 2 breeding pairs of any species should be regarded as a business .

Do you support the retention of import and export licences to monitor interstate movements of native animals? yes
Should lower risk species be exempted from licensing, such as species regulated by a code of practice? no
Should import and export licences be discontinued for interstate movements of animals kept by zoos, wildlife parks and tourist attractions? this needs to be assessed depending on the level of species endangerment, it may be a benefit in preserving endangered species if parks and wildlife were to take some specimens or their eggs from the wild for offer to experienced interested keepers to help breed up the numbers (to be returned
to be wild in their natural range under controlled conditions , and maybe some of the young could be sold by these keepers to cover some of their costs).

Do you have any comments on the proposed principles for determining licence fees? Persons on pensions should have access to FREE licences (companion, and lower level but not advanced licences).
Licences should be able to taken / paid in advance for up to 5 years for all levels.
Do you have any suggestions to improve fairness and equity in setting licence fees? see above

additional
include a mechanism to add injured / sick rescued wildlife to the keepers' log book temporaily especially while it's in care and rehabilating. Not limited to WIRES and RSPCA (been my experience that they are very disinterested if the animal has scales , and next to useless if approached for assistance).

And if the animal is too disabled to survive release back to wild there needs to a mechanism to add it permanently to keepers' record book - surely its more humane to keep a rescue as a pet for the remainder of it's life than to release it if is unable to fend for itself or defend itself.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good thoughts. I like your ideas at the end. Do they have an online log book instead of or in addition to printed books? I like the flexibility of keeping my logs in Google Docs (or similar). A template could be published and easily updated/distributed as well if needed.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2qii2l7n said:
Good thoughts. I like your ideas at the end. Do they have an online log book instead of or in addition to printed books? I like the flexibility of keeping my logs in Google Docs (or similar). A template could be published and easily updated/distributed as well if needed.

Was a printed log book when I started , a couple of years ago they switched to online.

I prefer the printed version that was supposed to be sent in every April in the mail. But a lot younger types like the online version.

All this assumes the keeper has access to a computer or smart phone or smart tv and internet access - this is not aways the case for the older pensioner keepers / breeders ….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom