Darwin

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I set manuka honey on his palm again last night and today the gash is either packed with dirt or has healed shut. Since he has been on relatively clean floors and has just some floor fibers and dust stuck to his (now sticky no matter how much I wash it) hand I think it's healing up. There is a secondary gash on one of his fingers so I'm thinking this is more shed related and the callus on his hand is just a bit tougher to shed off. He's running around again today and doesn't seem to be as defensive when I touch his hand so I take that all as good signs.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That is good news, glad the honey worked. A few baths should take care of the honey, after his hand has healed. So glad he's feeling better and can run around again.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He sure is, knows his times, too, right "It's food time"! Cierra and Freya know where the bugs are, too, when they see the door open, they zoom & try to get INTO the bug boxes. Nathaniel knows, too, Castiel and Gabriel don't care so much, hey know i'll be hand feeding them :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Darwin got to enjoy some time out on the lawn yesterday and was a pretty happy camper. Less energetic in the last few weeks and falls asleep early. He's fine, it's just interesting to see the cycles they go through in terms of energy/activity.

76248-1256328822.jpg

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
Glad to see him doing so well. It seems they love their outside time. Smaug just woke up last week from brumation. He's been sleeping since February. He is loving the outdoors too.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so glad to see that he's good and healthy. Really nice photo :D Castiel went to sleep in May, he usually goes down in Aug, so not sure how long he'll be out. Cierra is starting to not want to move much but still eating, so no brumation for her right now, I make her comfy under her lights, so she gets her UVB. Give her outside time in the am before I got to work, well all of them do. Freya is getting sleepy and so is Nathaniel, so by end Aug I prob will just have Gabriel awake, as he doesn't brumate. They are all so different.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
That is interesting, what a mix. There really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to when and how long they sleep rather just some very general trends.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Exactly, When I first had dragons that brumated, Lonzo and Sweetie Pie, they went to sleep in Dec/Jan and woke up in Mar/Apr ready for spring & summer, then they'd get sleepy in Oct/Nov. That was every year. As they got older and passed away, the dragons that came to live with me, Cierra, Nathaniel and Castiel were sleeping in July/August. That really took me by surprise their first summer, I couldn't at first figure out what was going on. Then it dawned on me and I did all the usual things I do before brumation with them. But May seems a bit early, even for this bunch, yet Castiel is still sleeping, week 4 now. He'll be up next Sunday for 1/2 hr bath, drinking water, basking and see if he goes back to sleep. When mine sleep, they're up every 2nd Sunday for bath, bask and see if they want to go back to sleep. If they don't right away, I give them 3 days without food to make sure. Once that time is passed, they're up, like it or not.

Gabriel is my only dragon that has never brumated. I think he slept for 2 weeks one winter, didn't seem to liek it and goes to bed early instead.

Freya has already tried to sleep bit she's just a year old 1/2 old, not much older, she's small, only 17" long and is still eating, so I turned her hide upside down and keep track of her eating. Once she stops, then I'll get ready for brumating. Mine have to be empty to brumate, they're all rescues, so want to make sure they have a healthy brumation.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom