Upper Respiratory - Baytril Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CruelBenevolence

Original Poster
Okay so I manage to convince him to go in the little tub. He was surprisingly okay with it. Maybe somehow he knew that whatever I was doing was eventually going to make him feel better?

35529135_10156419645541912_1493443545674022912_n.jpg

35703222_10156419645641912_2182042178929295360_n.jpg

35703222_10156419645641912_2182042178929295360_n_1.jpg

35724620_10156419645911912_8848041175639130112_n.jpg

35728730_10156419645461912_8471108450535866368_n.jpg

So I took one of my old cricket keepers from my noob days, and covered the top holes with insulation tape, leaving only one hole. Then I had this humidifier/fogger already, so I took a hose and slid it in the open hole.

Its not AIR TIGHT, there are definitely some leaks, but definitely getting a nice thick cloud inside, which was the goal. He has been in there for about 15 minutes now. He seems alright inside there. I hope the medicine is not burning his eyes.

I did 2 full ML of F10SC and 500mL of water, which was essentially a standard Poland Spring water bottle.

I hope this helps him. The fogger is much quieter than the nebulizer. And I think it was much more effective.

I used this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CO9582Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know what you guys think. I read some places you are supposed to use saline solution, but I just used water. Hope that is okay.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH poor little one, that is terrible for him.
You will just have to do the best you can, to try & get him to breathe in some mist one way
or another.
Using water instead of sterile saline should be fine. I am surprised he ended up cooperating
but that is good. It does the same thing as a nebulizer so as long as the meds get into him
that is all that matters.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

CruelBenevolence

Original Poster
Hey Tracie,

He seemed to tolerate the treatment okay. I went closer to 40 minutes in the fogger. I watched him all day and he seemed okay. Still a little trouble with the breathing heavy, but I am sure it will clear up eventually.

Is once a day the minimum and the maximum for the F10SC, or can we do this twice a day? I don't want to hurt him, but I do want to provide him with relief as quick as possible. Poor little guy has been sick for like 3 months now.

I do want to give him a break with the antibiotics since his stomach has been acting up, and give the probiotics time to take effect. His appetite is still a little mushy at best. He is eating, but not as much as he usually eats. So I definitely want to make sure he gets his appetite back before I try fogging him with the Tylan.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think once a day right now should be sufficient since you are doing 40 minutes.
Once you start the Tylan, you can do a 15-20 minute session once or twice daily.
I hope that it clears up for him soon, I am sure he is tired of having breathing problems!
That is a good idea to give probiotics & to allow a break from the antibiotics, they are so
hard on them sometimes!
I hope his tummy feels better soon. Keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie

CruelBenevolence

Original Poster
Day 3 of the F10SC fog treatment.

Not much to report.

Still very little appetite. Still doing a shot of probiotic non-dairy yogurt a day which he takes without any issues.

Pooping is normal.

Sleeping okay I think.

Can't see or tell if things are improving for him.

I guess we will keep up the treatments and see what happens in a week. Then we will switch to the Tylan fogging treatment (as long as his appetite comes back).

I will say this though, the smell of the F10SC is horrific. Even soaking him in the tub after the treatments he still stinks. I feel bad about the smell, but if it helps him, we are just going to have to deal with it... But WOOF! I went to kiss him and was taken back like WTF is that smell? But I don't want to give him a complex, or let him know that I know he smells bad, so we are keeping it hush hush. But WOOF!

How many days on average do people carry out the F10SC treatment for before they start seeing results? Is there a maximum number of days to continue the treatment?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, the F10 is making him smelly. I wouldn't do that treatment longer than a couple
of weeks. The Tylan shouldn't smell like that!
At least he takes the probiotic pretty well, I am surprised at that!
It may take a week or so before you see any improvments thus far. How are his colors, he isn't
exhibiting any black beard is he?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

CruelBenevolence

Original Poster
Re: Upper Respiratory - Baytril Failed
Unread postby Drache613 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:14 am

Hello,

Poor thing, the F10 is making him smelly. I wouldn't do that treatment longer than a couple
of weeks. The Tylan shouldn't smell like that!
At least he takes the probiotic pretty well, I am surprised at that!
It may take a week or so before you see any improvments thus far. How are his colors, he isn't
exhibiting any black beard is he?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Not full on blackbeard. But he is a little darker than usual. I didn't realize this could go on for weeks. He hates it so much. He doesn't fight me on it, but he definitely doesn't like it. But if its what I gotta do, then thats what I gotta do.

35884757_10156427841871912_1578077053062742016_n_1.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks good there, very relaxed. LOL At least his beard isn't pitch black. I really hope
it starts clearing up for him soon.
Keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie

CruelBenevolence

Original Poster
Okay so, its been two weeks on the F10SC fogging treatment 30-40 minutes a day, usually at night before bed. I see MINOR improvement, but still sense some breathing issues. When I hold his chest I can definitely still feel some mucus in his lungs when he breathes. And he does go through spurts of breathing heavy, where I have to pick him up and hold him right side up for his breathing to return to normal. So Sunday, after 2 full weeks of the F10SC, I am going to change the solution to the 2mL of Tylan per 500mL of water. I wanted to give him a break from all the antibiotics and let his system kind of calm down. See if that helps.

I have him on probiotics from the beautiful dragons website and wet Repashy food. His poop is good. He is eating good. His facial expressions are good. Not blackbearding TOO much, but right now he is in the middle of a shed so he is Mr Moody Pants. So, that is hard to determine if its because he is sick, or because he is shedding. Still giving him warm baths every day.

I have this product from Puriya called Breathe-Ease Balm. I am not sure if its safe for beardies. Its sort of like a natural herbal vicks vapor rub. I was wondering if I rub it on his chest before bed, if it will make any difference for him. But I wanted to make sure it was safe first.

These are the ingredients:

81ElELCbNkL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017C00RQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't seem like it would be toxic, its made with pure ingredients. But I am not sure. Do you know, or is there any reliable research online with interactions with Eucalyptus, Tea Tree Oil, Lavender, Australiana Oil, or Peppermint Oil? I know Beeswax and Olive Oil are safe for them, but unsure about the other ingredients.

I just thought it would be comforting to him, I know when I am sick, I love me some vicks vapor rub.

Anyway, will keep you posted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Glad to hear he has shown some improvement anyway. Maybe starting with the Tylan will
really help.
At least he is eating & getting some probiotics also. I hope he's feeling better.
I know that the tea tree oil is very strong & shouldn't be used on broken skin or rashes
especially. Since that isn't the case here, the ingredients technically appear safe. All I can
say is if you do try it, use just a very small amount first & see how he reacts. Use with care
on him. :D
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

CruelBenevolence

Original Poster
Hello,

So he really wasn't responding to the Tylan via fogging. So yesterday, I switched the solution to Baytril and started fogging him last night and tonight. So far, he is tolerating it well. I was nervous about doing a round of antibiotics back to back like that, but he did respond best with the Baytril orally when he first got sick, so maybe fogging it will work better for him and we can finally get over this.

Will keep you informed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he sure has had some trouble!
I hope the oral nebulizing treatments with Baytril help him out this time. Is his appetite
doing well?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I know this is a little old but I would not use that Breathe ease balm on your beardie or any pets. I can't say how toxic it is for reptiles but I have been reading about dogs and cats dying from stuff like lavender oil. People use diffusers with lavender oil etc. Their pet ends up dying from breathing in that stuff as it's very toxic for them. Just wanted to put that warning out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom