one thing i learned about my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
when i set the basking temp i need to check the temp of the dragon he likes it when hes 98 to 100 but no more then that it took me a while to figure it out so the basking temp on the actual basking platform is going to be 94 to 96 hopefully this helps someone.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Those temps are too low. The basking spot should be at 100F-105F, the warm end should be around 80F, and the cool end should be around 70F.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nah my dragon wont stay very long if the temps are higher he does gasp ,the warm end stays at 92 the cold end 80 when she had a glass tank the temps on the cool end were 85 and i had no complaints i guess depends on the dragon i suposse i have a 100 watt basking spot lamp at full power it keeps the ambient temp at 95 and my dragon was spending lot of time in the bottom on top of the basking area it was ranging 95 to 103 but my dragon choose to be on the bottom and is hardly any uvb down there i just dimmed it down a bit.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nah my dragon wont stay very long if the temps are higher he does gasp ,the warm end stays at 92 the cold end 80 when she had a glass tank the temps on the cool end were 85 and i had no complaints i guess depends on the dragon i suposse i have a 100 watt basking spot lamp at full power it keeps the ambient temp at 95 and my dragon was spending lot of time in the bottom on top of the basking area it was ranging 95 to 103 but my dragon choose to be on the bottom and is hardly any uvb down there i just dimmed it down a bit.
97755-1986877304.jpg
if i see him close to the light all the time i will increase the intensity.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Actually the "gasping" you described is them thermo-regulating. It's what a beardie does when they have reached a perfect temperature and are happy with the temperature they are at. My beardies do that all the time.

These are a few examples of my beardies doing it: View media item 60434 Cisco, View media item 60665 and Daisy gaping as well. I Don't have a picture of Loki gaping at the moment but he does it too while basking.

Is There a tube UVB in there as well?

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Very nice indeed lol yea thats what i was saying when i set the temp i look for the gasping and then i know the temps are good my beardie still young anywhere from 98 to 102 he likes it.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
102* is a good temperature.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I took my beardie to the vet saturday the vet gave some meds to take orally once a week for 3 weeks he also gave a shot of b12 my beardie was lot more active today he even basked for a bit but didnt care about food yet or water he hasnt eaten for the past 10 days hopefully my beardie makes it dont know whats the matter with her.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
What?? What's wrong with him? :( I Hope he's ok. and The vet gave him a shot just because he's not eating?? It sounds just like he's going on a food strike, my beardies do that all the time. What was the prescribed medicine? did he have parasites or something?

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
no parasites the meds the vet gave is metronidazole the vet gave that exact medicine back in march he thought it was a recurring condition according to the exam, she slept all day she just woke up at 3pm i gave her a bath and put it on the basking spot shes basking i think shes in semi brumation but i was told it wont last too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom