Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone!!
Okay so I am looking at getting an 8 week old Bearded Dragon. I was wondering how can I start feeding her? Is there a mixture bag of greens that I can just buy from Walmart?? Also she would be classified as a Juvenile, right?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
A 8 week old beardie would be classified as a hatchling or baby. I wouldn't consider a beardie a juvenile till 4-5 months of age.

In my opinion ages go by this,
1-4 months baby/hatchling
4-12 months juvenile
12-24 months sub-adult
24+ months adult.

There is some mixtures in stores that you can buy but the majority of the time they do not have the best food items for a beardie in it such as lettuce and spinach and a few others that can't be used at all or at least not often.
Preferably you want to feed collard greens, turnip greens, endive, mustard greens and few others daily along with their insect meals.

Heres a decently good feeding guide that should help out.
Do note the 10-20 bugs a feeding is a minimum, most do how many bugs they will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame. Personally, I'd recommend doing it this way rather than only 10-20 bugs a feeding.

All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-diet.php
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Supplementation -

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.
I recommend the Repti-cal brand but zoomed is also good.

The supplements should be lightly dusted on all bugs.

Generally, beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However, beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 2-4x a week with multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This does depend on how your beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

VenusAndSaturn":1r9nhm5n said:
Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Hi there.

Thank you for this very helpful information. I was wondering if the max amount of treat feeders is per feeding or per weeks? And is it for an adult, a juvenial or either?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom