Beardy might be getting MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjacksy

Original Poster
Drache613":2yzktqt7 said:
Hello,

What is your dragon's size, did you feed too large of an insect? Which substrate are you using
for him?
You can place the UVB inside of the tank, strategically. Which UVB light are you using? It would
need to be mounted directly overhead to give the best exposure & at a safe level.
Baths can help an impaction, but if she is truly impacted, you can start giving some softer foods
such as sugar free applesauce, canned unspiced pumpkin & a few drops of coconut or olive oil
to help move things through better. Be sure her basking spot is optimal temperatures, also.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Hi, my bearded dragon is 11-12 inches long. I believe I fed too big of a cricket because ever since we changed the size of cricket, she started acting weird, and can’t use her front right and back left leg that well. We will be taking her to the vet if using prune baby food doesn’t help. I use carpet, and I use the reptisun 10.0 t8 uvb bulb. We just propped the bulb inside her tank but we are worried as the basking bulb can catch it on fire but we are keeping them far away as possible to prevent that. (I’ll put a pic of lizard and cage set up.)

Update- she seems to be getting a little better with her leg strength. We will be giving her carrot baby food and prune baby food to help. People say prune baby food helps. Thanks and I’ll keep you updated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm glad to hear you are giving some carrot & prune baby food. Yes, prune baby food can help.
At her size, she probably isn't ready for the larger cricket size, I agree.
Usually impaction only affects the back legs but I hope it isn't really severe if it is an impaction.
Is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb mounted directly overhead? The basking bulb really needs to be
overhead & at proper distances so she can get to her proper body temperature.
Pictures would be helpful so we can see light placement.

Tracie

bjacksy

Original Poster
Drache613":32ifzr7s said:
Hello,

I'm glad to hear you are giving some carrot & prune baby food. Yes, prune baby food can help.
At her size, she probably isn't ready for the larger cricket size, I agree.
Usually impaction only affects the back legs but I hope it isn't really severe if it is an impaction.
Is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb mounted directly overhead? The basking bulb really needs to be
overhead & at proper distances so she can get to her proper body temperature.
Pictures would be helpful so we can see light placement.

Tracie

The basking bulb is right above her basking half log. The uvb bulb is not placed right over head unfortunately because then it would interfere with basking bulb placement. The basking bulb is at 6-8 inches away, but I feel as if we may need a new bulb soon. If she is impacted, I wouldn’t think that it is super severe because she can still move her back legs but prefers not to, and she doesn’t drag herself. We are hoping that if she goes to the restroom, that she will gain strength again or other wise she will be having a vet visit and going from there. I will put pictures of lighting set up. Thanks

100005-4733378403.jpg

100005-9657216114.jpg

100005-5211252873.jpg
She has the bulb in side the tank and basking bulb on top of screen

bjacksy

Original Poster
People have said to try mineral oil, or vegetable oil. My mom was going to try some but I was very cautious about it and said no because I don’t think that would be good for them even to help with going to the restroom. What do you think? Would it be better for that instead of prune baby food along with carrot baby food?

bjacksy

Original Poster
I’m starting to need some really good help now. She is starting to, I guess you could say not be flimsy.(she isn’t dead, but seems like she can’t move from one position) very hard to explain. We have to wait some more days just to see if she gets better and if she doesn’t she’ll be attending a vet visit. She’s not good at all. It’s like she can’t move her head even!! Here is what she looks like today———-

100005-803036499.jpg

100005-1249519047.jpg

Pastella

If the temperature outside is above 70f try taking her outside to sun bathe. The natural sunlight and warmth might help her perk up. What is her basking temperature again? Apparently when suspicious of impaction it can be beneficial to up the basking temperature to help the digestion process.

She looks dehydrated to me (eyes sunken in) so I would try syringe feeding her some water (mixing in pedialyte would be best). If it causes her too much stress you can try just putting water droplets on her nose, hopefully she will lick them off. I hope you are able to get her to the vet and she starts feeling better :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
Your setup isn't too bad. You will eventually need to upgrade the size of that tank to a larger
one for her.
Have you tried phoenix/calcium worms yet? Small silkworms, small hornworms, dubia roaches
& crickets are all good feeders. Mealworms are not real nutritious & can contribute to impactions
so that's good you don't use them right now.
If you can get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb mounted underneath of the screen, directly over head
then she can get better UVB exposure.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She does look a little dehydrated, not bad. If you haven't already tried giving oral fluids,
you can just drop some water onto the end of her nose to see if you can get her to drink
some.
I would avoid mineral oil, since it's petroleum based. It can irritate the GI tract. I would
use either coconut or olive oil for help with impaction.
If she isn't improving & not eating much then a vet visit is going to be needed. Impactions
are dangerous & greatly affect them. How much of the mix are you getting into her?
Let us know how she is doing. Do you want me to merge your two topics for you?

Tracie

bjacksy

Original Poster
Drache613":3hjz16i2 said:
Hello,

She does look a little dehydrated, not bad. If you haven't already tried giving oral fluids,
you can just drop some water onto the end of her nose to see if you can get her to drink
some.
I would avoid mineral oil, since it's petroleum based. It can irritate the GI tract. I would
use either coconut or olive oil for help with impaction.
If she isn't improving & not eating much then a vet visit is going to be needed. Impactions
are dangerous & greatly affect them. How much of the mix are you getting into her?
Let us know how she is doing. Do you want me to merge your two topics for you?

Tracie

You can merge the topics for me if you want, anything is fine ? we are taking her to the vet on Thursday. We just got some pedialyte (however it’s spelled) what is the ratio with water that I need for her? And can we mix prune baby food with it?

bjacksy

Original Poster
Drache613":1yfycxa0 said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
Your setup isn't too bad. You will eventually need to upgrade the size of that tank to a larger
one for her.
Have you tried phoenix/calcium worms yet? Small silkworms, small hornworms, dubia roaches
& crickets are all good feeders. Mealworms are not real nutritious & can contribute to impactions
so that's good you don't use them right now.
If you can get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb mounted underneath of the screen, directly over head
then she can get better UVB exposure.

Tracie

We’ve tried wax worms and Calci Worms but they were all dead even when they were not cold. We have the uvb bulb in the back because if it were to be in the middle, then there wouldn’t be space for the basking bulb. And I move her to sit under it anyways. Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon today?
It will be important though to get a larger tank so that you can setup the lights in a more
efficient manner for her.
Where are you getting your feeder insects, are they dying after you get them or are they
already dead when you purchase them?

Tracie

bjacksy

Original Poster
Drache613":d9iqip7c said:
Hello,

It will be important though to get a larger tank so that you can setup the lights in a more
efficient manner for her.
Where are you getting your feeder insects, are they dying after you get them or are they
already dead when you purchase them?

Tracie

I haven’t checked on her yet, but I’ll let you know when I do. I am getting my feeder insects from a local pet store and they aren’t dying when I buy them. And they are never dead when I get them. Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sure, I can merge your topics, since they are related. That way, everyone can keep track of all
of the issues of your dragon who are following your thread, a little better.
Yes, you can use prune puree baby food, that is fine. The Pedialyte can be diluted to a one part
Pedialyte to three parts water.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom