Severely dehydrated beardie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ltd3399

My bearded dragon has all signs of dehydration. Gave him pytylite bath and giving him baby food through a eye dropper for 2 days but he still doesn't eat and is very lathargic. Please help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation,
substrate used, temperatures, etc so we can try to pinpoint any issues.
I would recommend using a plastic dropper or syringe to try & give oral fluids to him by just
dripping it onto his nose. He should lick that off of his nose.
Do you have any pictures of him we could see & of your tank setup?
How old is your dragon?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Please show us photos of the condition of the dragon and show us and tell us about in as much detail as possible
> his tank,
> substrate used,
> the exact lights us have (basking and UV and type and BRAND (the brand is critical),
> diet and feeding schedule,
> his age and weight.

Soaking a dragon will do nothing to hydrate a dragon UNLESS IT ACTUALLY DRINKS the solution while there. Only way for a keeper to get hydrate a bearded dragon is VIA THE MOUTH. They do not absorb fluids through their skin (arid area adaption) or via the vent.

Ltd3399

Original Poster
Thx for th concerns. I have a reti sun 10.0 uvb tube fixture. , 100 watt basking area that is 95- 110 degrees. She is a litlle over a year. She rarley ate greens to begin with but would pick at them. She loves super worms but had to stop giving it to her because she would get impacted so trying to get her to eat dubias but she might eat 1 or 2
100043-6743045524.jpg
100043-7329639406.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It's hard to tell but your Reptisun 10 tube, is that mounted on the back wall correct? If so, I
would highly recommend mounting it directly overhead for better UVB exposure. Just be sure
it is alongside of your basking light. It will refract down towards your dragon more effectively.
Is she just relaxing there then? Does she have any trouble with climbing, etc?
Bathing is fine, many times it does wonders for them. Does she attempt to drink from the bath?
I noticed you are using a digital probe thermometer so be sure it's directly underneath of the
basking temperatures to accurately measure the hottest area. The temperatures sound fine to
me though.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Ltd3399

Original Poster
She doesn't have trouble climbing but loves that spot and stays there to much in my opinion( might be because shes fat lol). But I have been giving her baths everyday and giving her watered down baby food. And she wont drink any water. But she seems to be doing better after I give her fluids. I have a question about the baths though some people say they work and others say they don't. So which is it? I feed her some phoniex worms and she ate those yeah!!!!. but still won't eat greens. She wont even touch them

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ltd3399":3mr9oqpe said:
She doesn't have trouble climbing but loves that spot and stays there to much in my opinion( might be because shes fat lol).
<<< NOT FAT …. looks fine to me , nice pancake going (body flattening to make her back as wide as possible to soak up the rays ., laziness goes with the territory for adult beardies (except when the hormones kick in.

But I have been giving her baths everyday and giving her watered down baby food. And she wont drink any water. But she seems to be doing better after I give her fluids. I have a question about the baths though some people say they work and others say they don't. So which is it?
<<<< baths only hydrate bearded dragon IF the dragon licks the water --- ie if the water doesn't go in via the mouth (on food, in food, or as rain drops) it can't get in.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Being lethargic can be a symptom of many things, not necessarily dehydration. And yes she is a bit overweight, cut back on the superworms [ and believe me, they can hold out for a long time ] , maybe offering 3-4 twice a week at the most but get dubia roaches + crickets in her diet.

Has she ever laid eggs ? Was she active before this ?

Ltd3399

Original Poster
She used to be moving a lot bit stopped Idk why. But she is 1 years old and I have been thinking she might be gravid. But she hasn't been digging except for 1 time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If her appetite continues to be very small, it is a possibility of her having infertile eggs.
Maybe you should make a laybox, just in case. How long ago did she do some digging?
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Ltd3399

Original Poster
She does better once I give her fluids. She only tried to dig for a minute today. What would be a good substrate for a laybox?

Ltd3399

Original Poster
After I give her fluids.(babbyfood mixed with water). She perks up for like a hour but then goes back to being very lathargic. And in the morning when her lights go on she doesn't always go to bask .sometimes I have to put her on the basking spot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
Have you been able to make a laybox for her yet?
Is the baby food helping to maintain her weight? I don't think she appears to look ill, but
you could get a fecal done on her to be sure she doesn't have worms or parasites. A lot of
dragons tend to slow down in the spring/early summer.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Ltd3399

Original Poster
She is doing better . the baby food is just to get the taste of it into the water.( mostly water). Its to keep her hydrated. I think she might Just be lazy lol. Do baths help keep her hydrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom