Question on Food!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pechadm88

I'm back....again...sorry.

So, yesterday I ditched the crickets as my main feeder as they are getting larger and larger every time I order them and honestly...I hate everything about them. They are starting to chirp now that they are mature and they stink! :puke: So I found some guy that wanted them and I'm cricket free! Thank goodness!

So, I received my first order of black soldier fly larvae yesterday and my little Pascal loves them. I read they are great feeders and are naturally high in calcium. He also eats a variety of greens that include, collard greens, mustard greens, cilantro, green beans, and snap peas. Do I have to do any calcium supplement with any of his food now? And since they are high in calcium...is there a limit on how many I should be feeding?...or still let him eat until he is full?

Second question. In regards to the black soldier fly larvae. They are kept in a coconut fiber substrate...more of a dirt substance than fibers. I'm curious if this is harmful for beardies. I dip them in water before I feed them, but it doesn't get all of it off all the time. Is this going to be an issue?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
pechadm88":11e9wklf said:
I'm back....again...sorry.

So, yesterday I ditched the crickets as my main feeder as they are getting larger and larger every time I order them and honestly...I hate everything about them. They are starting to chirp now that they are mature and they stink! :puke: So I found some guy that wanted them and I'm cricket free! Thank goodness!

So, I received my first order of black soldier fly larvae yesterday and my little Pascal loves them. I read they are great feeders and are naturally high in calcium. He also eats a variety of greens that include, collard greens, mustard greens, cilantro, green beans, and snap peas. Do I have to do any calcium supplement with any of his food now? And since they are high in calcium...is there a limit on how many I should be feeding?...or still let him eat until he is full? <<<< IMO . no - let he eat his full , just pace his feeding session so he chews them and doesn't just hoover them down, so I'd be making him "work for them" by dropping a few in at a time rather than just dumping a stack of them into a feeding dish.
This way you can count how many he's had and keep track of his food intake.

Crickets only smell if you are not removing dead crickets and letting them rot - this also kills the crickets and they can become very maggoty if the flies find them .
Also important to remove the fras (poo) and the old food (carrot and greens) used to feed them.
I've used crickets for over 9 years and only occasionally get a smelly cricket keeper (I also buy my cricket in bulk by mailorder 1000 at a time) and keep no more than 80 crickets per tub.
cricket_gutloading_tub_and_dusting_tub.gif

I like the sound cricket chirping …. I find it soothing.

Second question. In regards to the black soldier fly larvae. They are kept in a coconut fiber substrate...more of a dirt substance than fibers. I'm curious if this is harmful for beardies. I dip them in water before I feed them, but it doesn't get all of it off all the time. Is this going to be an issue?
<<< yes …. it's fine to store them in the cocofibre stuff / potting mix (?) .

I simply fish out the BSFL maybe 50 at a time and place them in a homemade keeper that they can't escape from so the dirt and dust dries and falls off them.
This is what I knocked together to keep my BSFL in to clean up
P1150001.jpg

P1150003.jpg

works a treat , and cost me next to nothing (I had some mailer tube caps stashed - my crickets used to come from FrogArcade in tubes and I kept the end caps).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom