Keeping Beardie warm during transport to reptile vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

branjie

Hi guys,
My poor beardie isn't eating and looks pretty bad. I have syringe fed him this am, and I'm really hoping he does a poop in the next half hour so we can take that to the vet.

What's the best way to take my beardie in the car?

In a little sack, and held inside my daughter's jacket

or

In a little plastic container with a heated wheat bag underneath?

If you could let me know ASAP that would be great!

Thanks.

branjie

Original Poster
Never mind, I ended up putting him in a cricket container, with a heated wheat bag under it. When we were leaving the vet, I got them to put the wheat bag in their microwave for a little while, and it kept him nice and warm on the way home.

Gilbert was kind enough to do a poo when the vet and I were talking. It had thousands of pin worms in it, and some other parasite. He has some medicine, so hopefully he'll be feeling a lot better in no time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They tend to be OK in cars at regular temps but it's good to give them a cozy spot to retreat to. I've used large shoeboxes with a towel at the bottom before and it's worked well. I now use a carrier that straps around a seatbelt which I like a lot. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/

I'm glad he was able to provide a fresh sample for the vet. That's always best but difficult to arrange =). The pinworms shouldn't be a big problem. Panacur should take care of those. Do you remember which other parasite was found? Hopefully the meds take care of it quickly and he feels better.

branjie

Original Poster
CooperDragon, thanks for the tips re. beardie travel to the vet. That carrier looks luxurious.

My beardie is on Panacur, and Bactrim. Sorry I didn't catch the name of the bug he has besides pinworms. The Vet had a strong accent, and I couldn't catch the name of the parasite he was saying. Going by what you said, the Panacur must be for the pinworms, and the Bactrim must be for the other. He said in small amounts, either bug is almost considered normal, but he had thousands of pinworms on the microscope slide, and I guess too many of the other as well. He said if the medicine doesn't get rid of them altogether, it should get them down to a manageable level. Hopefully my beardie will have his appetite back tomorrow (day 4 of treatment). I am very keen to get him back to the live crickets and veg (rather than cricket veg puree).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not familiar with Bactrim. Panacur tends to be quite effective against pinworms though and is relatively mild. The vet is correct that low levels of pinworms tend to be pretty normal and can be managed by the dragon's immune system without issue. Low levels are generally not treated but high levels can be treated with Panacur. Hopefully the meds work quickly and he feels better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom