Debris in beardies eyelids

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Debris in beardies eyelids

Postby CJRyse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:26 am

Hi,
So there is some stuff stuck in my beardies eye lids and I just don’t know how to get it out.
Any help?
Pics- https://ibb.co/kMstSy
https://ibb.co/gzHSnyw
CJRyse
Newbie Poster

Re: Debris in beardies eyelids

Postby AHBD » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:56 am

Hi there, try a warm bath and use a Q-tip [ careful your beardie doesn't try to eat it ! If it doesn't go away after a few bath/rinses, take a few closer shots of the eye to post here in case it's more than just debris, like a possible small growth.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby CJRyse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:18 am

AHBD wrote:Hi there, try a warm bath and use a Q-tip [ careful your beardie doesn't try to eat it ! If it doesn't go away after a few bath/rinses, take a few closer shots of the eye to post here in case it's more than just debris, like a possible small growth.

Cheers
CJRyse
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:31 am

I just zoomed in on the pic , should have done right away and I see tiny white specs around the face. Can you watch closely to see it they are moving ? They lok like grain mites or some other type, possibly even springtails if the wood is wet. If they are mites, they must have come in with the wood chips. You'll have to dump the wood and sanitize the tank with hot water + soap. [ If these aren't mites, do you have sand in the tank ? }

Soaking the beardie + pouring water over his face should clear those up.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 am

Is the stuff irritating the dragon's eyes ?
If not , leave it be , or maybe a fine mist spray of water to lubricate it and maybe shift.

If it is , see above comments.

I suspect it's dust from the bark/wood chips I can see in the picture. if the dragon is housed on this material as it's substrate - very bad …. the stuff is neither edible or digestible and very likely to result in GIT impaction / blockage which will be very hard to clear.
I very strongly suggest removing the bark/wood chips and not using any particle type substrate in future.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec2015 @ 3.2 yrs old (aneurism)),Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 @ 4.6 yrs old,Toothless(sudden unexplained death RIP 26Nov2017) @ 2.1 yrs old.Peppa (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy rescued 14Nov2017 about 4 yrs old .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby CJRyse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:44 pm

AHBD wrote:I just zoomed in on the pic , should have done right away and I see tiny white specs around the face. Can you watch closely to see it they are moving ? They lok like grain mites or some other type, possibly even springtails if the wood is wet. If they are mites, they must have come in with the wood chips. You'll have to dump the wood and sanitize the tank with hot water + soap. [ If these aren't mites, do you have sand in the tank ? }

Soaking the beardie + pouring water over his face should clear those up.

Ok, I’ll wash him first thing tomorrow.
What can the mites do and what other flooring should I use?
CJRyse
Newbie Poster

Return to Health