Baby feeding schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherOhDragons

I just got my beardies 3 days ago and am trying to figure out a good feeding schedule and what to feed them. The people we got them from didn't know how old they were but they are about 6 to 6 and a half inches long. I understand they need more crickets than greens. If anyone had a sample layout of times and what to feed them?

EXAMPLE
0800: lights on
0900: crickets
1200: crickets
1500 (3pm): greens or crickets? (if it's during a workday, no ones home to feed at this time)
1900 (7pm): crickets
2000: lights out

There's usually a bowl of greens left in their tank that I change daily. I'll try to hand feed them greens first but most of the time, they only eat one or two pieces and then are completely over it. Any help would be appreciated!

MotherOhDragons

Original Poster
destiny1998":2zi4zm0w said:
Hi. How long do they bask in the evening after they eat? Also are they housed together?

They are housed together right now. My sister in law will be taking one soon so for now, I’m holding him. They were both housed together since birth and they get along for now. I feed them separately in two different containers so I can keep track of how much they eat at a time.

Also, they bask for two hours after feeding. I meant to put 9pm as lights out or 10 if I end up forgetting.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MotherOhDragons":g8tgigsp said:
destiny1998":g8tgigsp said:
Hi. How long do they bask in the evening after they eat? Also are they housed together?

They are housed together right now. My sister in law will be taking one soon so for now, I’m holding him. They were both housed together since birth and they get along for now. I feed them separately in two different containers so I can keep track of how much they eat at a time.

Also, they bask for two hours after feeding. I meant to put 9pm as lights out or 10 if I end up forgetting.

I suggest separating them NOW into tubs about 100L capacity that can be stacked , see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480.
Both will then thrive and be stress free.
Keeping them together will create problems (dominance issues , one thriving , other failing to thrive, and as they get older they can suddenly start getting bitey and vicious towards each other - especially if you have two young boys housed together ( very bad idea keeping them housed together).

I also suggest investing in a domestic inline plugin timer , connect a power-board that is connected to the basking and UV lights
…. what are you currently using ie 10%UVB or 12%UVB T5HO tube or T8 tube or a compact , or MVB ? ,
….show us the setup

Recommend you set the lights to come on automatically at 6am, and to turn off at 10pm. This gives a couple of hours in the morning for the tanks to warm up and the hatchlings to wake up properly and get their metabolisms ticking over nicely and get good and hungry, and a good long period after their last meal to bask before their bedtime (lights out).

These a very good value and are set and forget : https://hpm.com.au/products/analogue-timer-24h-easy-set-override-switch-pI
I use one of these : https://hpm.com.au/products/digital-timer-7-day-slimline-1-min-p.
My 4 x 7W heatpads are run 24/7 (different thermostat settings for dragon and skinks) and are connected to a https://hpm.com.au/products/4-outlet-master-switch-powerboard-p.
All my skinks and dragon are housed in the same room , and I have had up to 3 dragons (2 hatchings/juveniles/subadults and 1 adult) in stacked tanks and stacked tanks without much in the way of problems.

Feeding schedule will work OK , just need a longer photoperiod and more time to bask and soak up the UVA and UVB.
I'd add
BSFL (phoenix worms / calciworms) which are still white and wriggly
or
small (15mm - 25mm) silkworms
the diet as the mid-day feed. These can be left for the hatchlings to eat at their leisure (if you house the two separately) , the BSFL need an escape proof feeder dish …. little buggers are real little Hoodini's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom