Question on Substrates- can I use mulch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arirang

Hello, all! TL;DR at the bottom!

I recently acquired a gorgeous two-foot royal python who requires a cypress mulch subtrate. I love it! It's beautiful, doesn't show dirt, easy to clean up, and big enough that I feel Norbert couldn't eat it by accident (and if he does, probably digestible!)

I currently use ZooMed ReptiCarpet (presumably it's name: Everything ZooMed is ReptiSomething) and it's... Meh. I don't like cleaning it. It never comes totally clean. It looks... Meh.

Could I use some sort of mulch or coconut substrate or anything else? I feed Norbert in his viv, and would prefer to continue doing so because it's quicker and easier. I want 0 risk of impaction or other problems.

TL;DR- I want to know if I can use a non-carpet substrate (preferably a mulch), feed my beardie on it, and not worry about impaction.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Cypress mulch would actually most likely get stuck in your beardie if he ate any of it which could then lead to impaction or even choking if it got stuck in his throat.

With snakes this isn't an issue if they get a few pieces in their system since they can easily digest bones however beardies can not.

I'd highly suggest rough slate tile, paper towels or non-adhesive shelf liner rather than a loose substrate.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would think that mulch would be hard to clean/sanitize too. If you're already having issues cleaning the repticarpet then I'd move to a solid substrate like shelf liner as suggested. It's easier to clean/sanitize or replace. If you want natural looking I would look more into creating a bioactive system if you have enough room for it because that will provide proper drainage and an ecosystem that will prevent harmful bacterial buildup. They take quite a bit of work to get set up properly though so solid substrate is the easiest good bet.

Arirang

Original Poster
I have decided to get a nice slate tile, per the recommendation of one of my customers. Does it have to be natural stone, or will artificial work, too?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

Either tile is great for beardies. All of my beardies are on slate tile and love it, It's very easy to clean, won't cause any impaction that most Particle Substrates normally cause. and It has a nice look to it.

and If your beardie wants to burrow, Add some paper towels to the spot they typically sleep in or add a nice piece of fleece for them to snuggle up in. :)

This is one of my previous posts about particle substrates with most of the reasons not to use them: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=243890#p1857889

-HippieLizards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom