Mites

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaffaCake

Hatchling Member
Discovered around Easter time that one of my dragons had mites underneath her mat but were nowhere else in the viv, I looked up how to get rid of them and followed the instructions along with visiting a pet shop i retrieved them from and one of the staff suggested Flo Insecticide Surface Spray. We threw all of her stuff into a bath full of very hot water and made sure all of it was submerged under the water, took her grass carpet outside and jet washed it and submerged that under hot water as well. We took the viv outside jet washed it, scrubbed the corners and sprayed the inside with the insecticide, washed and did it again before jet washing it all.
Just checked her tank today and the mites are back, underneath her mat and on her food bowl but i cant see them on any other of her things. Im going to do the above things again to her viv but is there anything that i am missing or would help?
Should i throw out some of her cork objects that have a tonne of holes where they can hide? she has a huge log and a cork house in her viv. Any advice would be a massive help, thank you.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
I wish I knew what to say, I’ve never had a mite issue - I just hope this reply bumps it up so someone might be able to help!!!
You could post it in Beardie ER ... it’s kind of an emergency situation of your beardie has mites on him/her ... I would try there, you may get more ch Ave st help, th worst that could happen is they move it back to Health. I would try Beardie ER.

I hope you get the help y’all need! ????

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What kind of mites are they? Can you post some photos? Are they on her or just around her viv? If they are grain mites (very small like grains of sand that move in large groups) then they are a pain to get rid of but not harmful. Decrease humidity in the room below 45% and that should take care of it.

If they are mites that are slightly bigger and climbing on your dragon you might want to try a betadine bath as described here http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html

JaffaCake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your reply, they aren't black or red tbh they are barely noticeable unless you are looking for something. I only noticed them because I was cleaning her tank and lifted her grass carpet up and there were very small light brown. I have a video of one crawling around, there aren't many of them I would say around 15 that I can see. Is there a way to upload videos and pictures?
There aren't any on her or on her stuff as far as I can tell, they were on her food bowl so I drenched it in hot water for around 10 minutes or so but I'm worried her cork house and log are infected and I would have to throw them out? I know bearded dragon furniture are expensive and I'm a uni student who's moving into a house soon so I can't afford to completely redo her set up. I've bought tiles to put in her tank instead of carpet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply. You can upload videos to a host like vimeo or youtube and then post a link here.

If you can count them then they aren't likely grain mites. Those look like moving sand and there are usually many thousands before they are noticed.

For the wood and cork I'd rinse them off and then put them in the oven on low (250f or so) for about 45 minutes to kill off anything in them. Heat works well for sanitizing wood.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
They don’t sound like reptile-mites. Does she have any on her? Or are they just in the enclosure? In addition to grainmites there are all sorts of little bitty bugs that might like to live in the warm and possibly sometimes damp areas of a terrarium. If they jump when you try to touch them they are springtails and perfectly harmless.

You’ll probably want to try baking your decor and see if that helps.

JaffaCake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is a picture of them, they are incredibly small Im not even sure if you will be able to see them but ive circled it and its about the size of a tiny crumb to be honest.
76756-1541606696.jpg

As said before, they are only under the grass carpet in the viv, they arent on any of her stuff or on the dragon itself. This is the second time i have had them and they are only in one viv out of two that i have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom