Bearded dragon eating / drinking rarely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaedas99

Hello guys, hope you're all doing well.

I've had Aurore since she was a baby and have always been pro-active with her care. She was a fast grower and ate a lot during her adolescent phase. But recently, her eating behavior seems to have changed and it worries me.

Before i continue, here are some details about her and her setup :

Weight : 378g
Length : 17.25"

Here is her weight / length / behavior data for the past 4 months :
Jan 2018 : 340g / 16" / eats fine
February 2018 : 362g / 17" / started eating less
March 2018 : 370g / 17" / eats less
April 2018 : 374g / 17" / eats less
=>>>Visited the vet for another issue (lost the tip of her tail (0.4") due to a bad shed and poor humidity due to winter heating). He gave her a thorough exam and said she was healthy (checked her abdomen, teeth, nails, reflexes, tail, etc).
May 2018 : 378g / 17" / eats less
June 2018 (until now) : 378g / 17" / eats less

-------------

Terra hot side : 100-105F
Terra Cool side : 80F
Terra size : 60 gallons
Terra UVB/UVA : Reptisun 10.0%, 24"
Terra climate : 12h Lights on, 12h Lights off
Terra Substrate : Tiles, nothing loose
Terra Humidity : 35-55%
Room Ambient Temps : 75F

Her behavior, from my point of view, is normal somewhat. As in she basks, and poops a great amount with a white urate (when she eats... if she eats little, it takes 4-5 days before she poops). She also show no signs of being lethargic, but seems a little bit sleepy towards the end of the day (2h before bed time). She prefers her cold side from her hot side most of the time, but also like basking under her UVB light.

When she eats, its usually a few leaves of Aragula (Roquette) combined with 2-5 super worms. Since she eat littles, i put calcium + vitamines on all her insects. My vitamin supplement is Repashy Vitamin Supplements (all in one).

So my question is, what can i make of this?

-I've searched for a while but it does not seems to be brumation (since she was too young to brumate when her eating behavior changed).

-It's near impossible to be impaction, since she's not on loose substrate and big enough to eat medium sized superworms

-Parasites maybe? But her urate and everything else does not seem to have changed.

The thing that confuses me is this : She doesn't lose weight. At all. Despite eating and drinking very little.

She seems active enough during the day, so i'm honestly out of options to pinpoint what is actually going on with her.

Thank you for reading. Do you guys have any ideas about what might be going on?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She sounds OK but might just be slowing down and taking a break between growth spurts. It's a good sign that she is alert and her weight is stable. She is still fairly small in terms of weight so I wouldn't be surprised if she still has another growth spurt left. If that's the case her appetite will start to pick up again on it's own. I would keep offering meals on your regular schedule for now and over the next 6 months or so (esp as she starts eating more again) I'd try to include more and more veges in her diet .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom