Is my beardie too thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

23peterpai

Um so, every other bearded dragon I see seems to look a little bigger than her “Rose”. I’m just wondering if she is too skinny???

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hello!

Well, from this angle, she (is her name Rose?) appears to be on the thin side - however, how old is she? Unless you wrote it and I overlooked it.

I’m looking at her back legs in particular - and her arms - her head is also looking pretty narrow/thin - but if you have a few more photos from different angles that would be amazing and helpful!

I’ve found that with my dragons, different angles can make them appear thin, and some angles can make the appear much bigger - having said that, and just going on this photo alone, I would say yes, she is thin. But do need to see other angles too -
I’m going to ask a few questions - if you could answer them, we might be able to remedy the situation!

Age -
Protein - what feeders do you use? How often?
Salad - what greens do you used, and does she seem to be interested in them at all
Tank setup - what size is her home? Length/Width/Height
Tank substrate - what are you using on the bottom of the tank?
Lighting - what kind of light/lights do you use for her?

There are some more questions, but let’s start with this couple of questions and go from there ?

You’d be surprised at how sometimes to smallest tweet to her current set-up can change things!

Also, do you have a scale? Even a kitchen scale will do. If you do, put her on it and see what the reading is. If not, that’s ok too, there are other ways to figure things out. I am definitely willing to find the source if the problem (8; there is one) and get her to gain some good weight she probably needs.

I look forward to hearing to you!

-Em

-

23peterpai

Original Poster
Yes her name is Rose umm she is about 4 years old. I usually feed her 25 crickets on Mondays, Wednesday’s, and Fridays? She loves collared greens, peaches (I only feed them to her every so often), and red peppers. She has a 40 gallon tank. I need to go home and measure it. I use the vitamin sand for her. We use a tube uvb and for the summer we use a 50 watt basking light from zoo med, we went lower because she acted uncomfortable because we live in St. George?
Thank you for helping me!!

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Sure thing. Glad to help.

Thanks for providing the info - and a lot of times, the setup can be the problem itself, and nothing wrong with the beardie itself.

There are somet thing you could change (and they aren’t expensive changes) that could allow Rose to flourish. She’s defiantly a full adult at 4 years, and honestly her diet itself is something that would make me wonder why she isn’t larger -
how big are the crickets you are feeding her? Like are the larger size or are they the little pinheads ...
Have you ever thought about switching her feeders from crickets to a different feeder?
Adults don’t each as much as they did when they were younger - so she is actually eating a decent amount for a dragon her age - but something seems to be a bit off still.

Would you be willing to change the feeder? Let me tell you Dubia Roaches are incredible feeders.
Super worms, while the get a bad rep for being too fatty - are not a bad staple is mixed and changed up with roaches -
(Don’t worry they are NOT the “roaches” you would find in a house infestation!b) ... they are tropical and flat and look like roly poly bugs. i would okay for those two feeders fro Rose. Butters are great ton ofcoirse, and so are Pheonix worms. It honestly wouldn’t hurt to give her some plain chicken baby food and squash baby food to help her outburst some as well. I would.

How does Rose sry hydrates? Does she drink water on her own or how does she get her water?

Also, if you were willing, I would take that sand up and put down -
Paper towels
Tile from Lowe’s - which looks awesome by the way!
Newspaper

Sand is pretty dirty - even if you clean the poop up immediately - itputs dust in the air and the can get resdpitory problems from it - last but not least and they will ingest it - causing impaction - not good.

As for your lights - what brand is your UV tube?

How are Roses’s temperatures? What is the ambient temp and the direct temp she basks on?
If you don’t habe a good thermometer and want one I can give you a link to the one that hasn’t been a lifesaver for me! And it’s not pricey. I’d be happy to show ya

And I’d be happy to show you were to get the other feeders online - the are pretty cheap and you get a ton!

It’s nice that she eats collards - they are amazing for them. It’s my girls choise of greens too ?

It may seem weird, but it’s crazy how much the set up, substrate and temps can help turn their food into good muscle and good fats.
Her front but especially her back legs just look so so skinny - and I can kinda see she has a skinny tail base - if you change up her conditijs and her food, and she is still remaining so thin, I would take her to a hero vet. With he amount she is eating (if the crix are large) she should be keeping on some weight.

Oh! PS - for basking bulbs you can always use a regular clear household bulb. They make the same heat as the expensive basking bulbs. Same thing!

23peterpai

Original Poster
Thank you! She eats large crickets. Also, although I thank you for your help I took her to the vet and he said she just is skinnier she is perfectly healthy! She loves going outside sometimes she waits by the door like a dog and when I open it she bursts outside!☺️??

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Looks a similar weight to my little girl. I used to worry she wasn't growing and doesn't weigh as much as I expected but she's healthy and happy (when she isn't shedding) and that's what matters.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Steve1878":35eepa00 said:
Looks a similar weight to my little girl. I used to worry she wasn't growing and doesn't weigh as much as I expected but she's healthy and happy (when she isn't shedding) and that's what matters.

I guess I just have a chubby chubs then yall! ????? ... I toss up a pic of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom