Super tiny worms in with dubia feeders

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Super tiny worms in with dubia feeders

Postby chifeo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:40 pm

I recently purchased 200 nymph dubia roaches and noticed that there where really small white worms inside my beardy's bowl.

Dubias are being kept in a 10 gallon tank with a mesh lid. Initially I had a couple of desmestid beetles alone in this tank and introduced the nymphs about 2 days ago.

To "harvest" the feeders what I do is remove one of the single egg crate partitions I place in the tank for easy picking... I simply shake them out into the bowl.
Since the bowl is white I am able to see anything that moves in it... hence how I was able to notice the tiny thingy.

It does not resemble a dermestid beetle larvae at all. More like the roundworms you find in aquariums.

The tank I am using has never been used as an aquarium so this is baffling.

Should I dispose of everything in the tank and look for a new place to buy feeders from, or is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
chifeo
Newbie Poster

Re: Super tiny worms in with dubia feeders

Postby AHBD » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:03 am

Possibly gnat or fruit fly larva. Can you post any pics ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby chifeo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:58 pm

AHBD wrote:Possibly gnat or fruit fly larva. Can you post any pics ?

The picture is really low quality, I am unable to upload the video which would be ideal to show what it is I am seeing.

[Click image to enlarge]
chifeo
Newbie Poster

Postby karbock » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:33 pm

They feed off the roach poop. I collect those when i purchase dubias as they work as a cleanup crew. They are nothing to worry about. I have a ***** ton in my dubia tub. They get caught in the mix when they package the dubias.
karbock
Newbie Poster

Postby chifeo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 pm

karbock wrote:They feed off the roach poop. I collect those when i purchase dubias as they work as a cleanup crew. They are nothing to worry about. I have a ***** ton in my dubia tub. They get caught in the mix when they package the dubias.

What are they? Thanks.
chifeo
Newbie Poster

Return to General Discussion